alarm problem rover 214

Hi all, I have a problem with the alarm on my recently aquired 214. The key fob is on its way out and although I can purchase one for an extortunate fee i tried to use the imobiliser code entered by the door lock. This did not work after several attempts.

My questions are:

  1. What can prevent the code from being accepted by the computer (I paid the rover agent to find the code so assume it is correct)

  1. Is there another way of by-passing the alarm system so I can fit a different alarm system.

thanks in advance

Ken

Reply to
sueken

Damaged or tarnished contacts inside the door key.

Damaged leads from door key to ECU, usually across the door hinge area.

Nope, part of the ECU, I'm afraid.

Rdgs

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Ken, There is a known problem getting the computer to recognise the keycode. Rover issued a bulletin on the subject, the following extract might help you.

PROBLEM: KEY ACCESS CODE INOPERATIVE - INPUT ERROR Emergency key access code quoted on Sales documents or extracted by TestBook does not 're-mobilise' the vehicle.

CAUSE: Due to a tolerance build-up within the door mechanism components an input error can occur on entering code.

ACTION: Where an owner reports that the emergency key access code does not operate, the following procedure should be applied, and when proved to be effective, demonstrated to the customer.

· Increase the second and fourth digits of the code by one digit. For example, the code '2222' becomes '2323'. NOTE: If the number nine appears in the original code, it now becomes ten. · Ensure that the key is turned as far as possible in both the 'lock' and 'unlock' directions. · When returning the key to the vertical position continue for a further 5 degrees (i.e. five to twelve / five past twelve positions.) to ensure that the switch contacts have operated.

Regards PSUPete

Reply to
PSU Pete