Alternator alternative

My 96 Metro 1.4 has an alternator that's busted. But the replacement has a different pulley.

The original has a pulley that fits a rib fan belt, but the replacement has a pulley that fits a thin fan belt

The bloke at the shop said its ok to switch the pullies, take the old one out of the old alternator, and put it in the new one, but my mechanic is not too sure.

To buy an original Rover is quite expensive.

Any info on this much appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Moose

For a definitive and quicker response from a 'livelier' newsgroup, try posting your question on uk.rec.cars.maintenance but the following may be of some help although I have no experience of Metro's so cannot confirm that it will work.

If I recall correctly, the last alternator that I bought (from the local motor factor) for a Rover 416 GSi didn't come with a pulley and I had to 'swap' it over.

So to answer your question, I would think that providing the outside diameter, and the hole diameter of the pulley are the same, and when fitted, the alternator pulley lines up with the crankshaft pulley then the swap should be OK.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Well, I did manage to swap them .. so here's hoping it all works fine. The bolt snapped when we took it off, so we'll have to drill it out of the casing.

More fun!

Thanks for the info

Reply to
Moose