Coupe front discs

I need to replace the front discs on my Coupe. The car is on a P plate with the bubble shape dash. This makes it a post 1996 car.

Now here is the confusion, Rover tell me that there are two possible discs for the car, pre 96 or post 96. (They say that this car was not part of the same engineering program as the bubble shape 200! FFS!) The difference is the height of the disc. ie the distance from the back of the disc to the front of the hub. Pre 96 this is 47mm, post 96 this is 45mm. All other dimensions are the same.

Two questions, which disc should be fitted? What are the consequences of fitting the wrong one?

I suppose the third question would be why can't Rover tell me this? FWIW I have no faith in my local Rover-MG spares department after the last parts scenario left an oil slick of impressive proportions on the road behind the same car.

Reply to
M Pitt

I also need new discs on my 'late' P-reg rover 216 coupe. I can let you know (when I get chance!!) which part was supplied for my car. I assume you have the K-series engine like me...

Reply to
Dan Q

On 10/06/2004 23:05:11, in alt.autos.rover, Dan Q licked his pencil and scribbled in message

Since my original posting I have discovered which disc it hould be. The important bit is the fact that it is the K series engine. These models share the brakes of the Rover 25. For a 1.6 and 1.8 engine the disc should be 262mm dia, 21mm thick have a height of 45mm and mount on a 152mm dia hub. The discs are vented.

It has been my experience that cheap pattern discs warp easily. Rover fitments are a bit better.

When I get my Coupe back from the body shop it will be getting a set of either EBC or Black Diamond discs along with some spiffing new pads. That should make the bank manager winc a bit more!

Reply to
M Pitt