curious - tuning 2.7 v6

Hi all

I am just curious if the 827 v6 2.7l engine can be tuned, ie chip swap, turbo, etc.

If anyone knows anything, what can be done and what sort of power output can be obtained?

regards

vertuas

-- Start your own home based business today :

vertuas

Yes I believe it can be. Dunno who does the bits though. Rover used to do them themselves. After all, this was the engine used in the 6R4 Metro rally car some years back. Ian

Reply to
superdad

In message , superdad writes

I might be wrong but I thought the 6R4 motor was the same as the Jag XJ220 engine? No?

Reply to
Al

I might be wrong but i believed that the 6R4 engine was the V8 with two cylinder effectively (its not that simple) cut off the end.

Maybe the the 6r4 engine was the predecessor to the K V6 rovers own 2.5 litre V6 engine.

My car has the earlier Honda PFI V6 2.7 litre lump

Reply to
vertuas

Reply to
chrismm

I stand corrected. Nice motor though.

Reply to
superdad

Reply to
chrismm

Nah, the Metro engine was completely different. It was 3/4 of their old V8.

Reply to
Nom

Obviously not.

They do share head-gaskets though :)

Reply to
Nom

This is an urban myth :) They do share some parts (head-gaskets for example), but the two engines are actually very different.

Reply to
Nom

Yes, he is right. This engine was actually made from the (Buick) Rover V8 by dropping 2 cyl. Obviously some disappointment to some that the XJ220 had a Metro engine in a sense.

Johannes

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Except that it didn't. They are similar, and even share head-gaskets, but the two engines are VERY different !

Reply to
Nom

Of course the engines are different, the XJ220 was the fastest production car at the time. The Jaguar version of the engine was heavily turbo charged and had a different cylinder head. Nevertheless, it is correct to say that the engines was developed from a common origin of the old Rover V8.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Reply to
chrismm

I've always read that are are only VERY loosely similar. I suppose "the engines were developed from a common origin of the old Rover V8" would be a reasonable way to put it :)

Reply to
Nom

Or an even better way would be to say that it was developed from the old BUICK V8 that Rover used in their V8's... :-)

Reply to
Steve Perry

Or even from an engine that Buick copied (roughly) from a BMW design way-back-when!!! Doh! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Only two 6R4s had 750bhp, both of them built by Will Golupp, and was fitted with twin turbos. Only one of the two cars remain in existence (the other caught fire). It is owned by a friend of mine, and can be seen regularly at Shellsey Walsh Hill Climb near Worcester. So if you really want to check how differnt the engine is from the more recent Rover V6 engines, you know where to look.

Reply to
Liam Wright

Very informative guys but can i put a turbo or two on one (Honda PGI V6 2,7 litre)????

Reply to
vertuas

Of course.

You can Turbo any engine, given sufficient time and money.

Reply to
Nom