engine temperature gauge not working

rover 214 8v 1998.

any advice would be appreciated...

i tested the gauge by shorting the sender unit wire to earth and the gauge went to max.hot. i then replaced the sender unit only to find on fitting that the gauge still wouldn't move. i tried a good second hand set of clocks with still no movement on the temperature gauge.

i've done a resistance test on the sender unit as the engine warms up and i can measure a steady drop in resistance. (reverse for a cooling engine.)

is there something i've misssed?

i had a chat with "best of britsh"

they thought that the sender unit's resistance range might not becorrect. ie i may need to replace my sender unit with exactly the sameone for my year. i replaced a black one with the marks "MEK", 130,22A6 with a blue one (don't know the details of this but it wasbought new from a rover dealer). thanks.

Reply to
mq