Facelift (04 model) Rover 75

MGR have just put the pictures of the facelifted 04 model Rover 75 on their site.

It looks like the biggest changes have been a new headlamp cluster (one instead of two), a new grille and a new tailgate with styling hints not unlike some of the later model Fords.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Well, I think it sucks!

It now looks like a cross between a Ford and a Vauxhall Calibra. The facelift failed. It wasn't necessary in the first place, and is definately a backwards LEAP. The Rover name spelled out across the Tourer tailgate looks Japanese 4WD and is as tacky as hell. I was thinking of buying a tourer this year but won't be now. I'll keep my 2000 model 75 Conn SE Highline Auto until it dies now, unless they bring out another car I like. Bloody hell, I had to keep my 1600 GTi TC for 9 years 'cos they didn't produce any nice cars after that, until the 75, and now they've lost the plot completely.

They have ruined the 75 (voted the most beautiful car in the world by the Italians) and probably signed their own death warrant.

Steve.

Reply to
RacingFan

It does indeed.

Depends which Ford you mean, but come to think of it most of them are pretty sucky so possibly not :)

A calibra is aesthetically pleasing, so not really comparable there tho...

Facelifts are *always* necessary.

There are other car manufacturers than Rover you know :)

Reply to
Lordy

Well, if they're not selling many Streetwises, they had to do something with the spare front ends, didn't they?

ken

2003 R75 CDTi
Reply to
Ken Forrest

I agree.

I actually thought the Rover 75 (the meshed-front MG version at least) was the nicest looker in it's class. This is no longer the case :/

Reply to
Nom

I'm sorry, I meant a Vectra, not the beautiful Calibra!

What other British Car companies (that build affordable cars anyway). And if I wanted a car that looked like one the other foreign companies are making, I'd buy a 2004 Rover 75, wouldn't I? ;-)

Reply to
RacingFan

There are plenty, Honda, Toyota, etc. They all build cars over here, employing British workforce...

I've always been put off the 75 personally as it looks so dowdy and dated :/

Reply to
Lordy

Nom napisal nam:

also agree... headlamp sux now :(

Reply to
krzys-iek

So why are you on the Rover 75 forum then? Just to aggravate people? :-)

Reply to
RacingFan

They're hardly British.

That doesn't surprise me, but people with taste like it. :-/

Reply to
RacingFan

a) This is not a Rover 75 forum b) This is not even a forum.

HTH

Reply to
Lordy

Depends on what your definition of 'British' is. Isn't the whole moronic concept of 'buying British' about products built in our own country, products that give jobs to our own people ?

British companies are outsourcing to foreign companies more and more, even a large part of one of MG Rover's latest models is made in Italy, whilst the remaining UK part of the operation constantly seeks ways to swindle it's workforce out of their health and pension benefits whilst making the 'top four' as rich as possible for sitting on their fat backsides.

But then, I suppose that's the British way of doing things. How very patriotic.

People who declare themselves to be more 'tasteful' than other people very rarely are. People who declare themselves to be *anything* at all on Usenet very rarely are either.

At the risk of being intrusive, are you 'old' by any chance ? I just seem to get that aura from this outdated concept of 'British- ness' you seem to have, coupled with a complex to people having dissimilar opinions on your choice of vehicle.

Reply to
Lordy

Er, why don't you simply buy a different make of car ? Do you get your Rovers for free or something ?

Reply to
Nom

British is when the corporate cash stays in the UK ecomomy, not another country's.

For your obviously Daily Mail/Telegraph inspitered and completely underinformed information, it's interesting to note how those media bandwagon jumpers omit to mention the many millions of pounds in personal guarantees that the directors of Phoenix-MG-Rover had to put up to save the company in the first place - while the same papers you read were doing their best to denigrate both MG-Rover, its workforce, its viavility, and like you the people that buy their products.

Those top four 'sitting on their fat backsides' are actually recognised - by both the workforce and their unions, as well as most of their peers in the automotive industry, as people who work very hard, very long days, are very good engineers all, vare ery good businessmen, did SAVE the company from extinction, and, unlike many malformed 'Brits', are actually prepared to put both their money and their time where their mouths are. The also don't sit on their lazy fat backsides slandering and libelling other people while hiding behind a psudonym.

I didn't declare that I had more taste than anyone else, but you don't appear to have any. If you presented reasoned argument as to why you don't like a particular thing, I could and would accept that, but you have only generalised about the type of person YOU in your narrow-minded way believe to be the drivers of Rover 75's. Hundered of thousands of them have been sold, and according to the latest reports are seen as being one of the most valuable cars to own in terms of safety, comfort, cost of running, reliability and residual value. And not everyone who likes/drives them smokes a pipe, wears carpet slippers and a flat cap.

No I'm not, but we all will be one day, even you, and I treat my elders with respect. I don't agree with all the PC crap about in this country [only] nowadays that lets the loud gobby minority tell everyone else how to behave or what to think. I also don't agree with supporting other so-called 'friendly' countries' economies when those same countries do everything they can both politically and economically to undermine ours.

I have a problem with your lack of concept of what is British. I have no problem with people differing in opinion to mine or whatever products I buy - only when they talk b*ll*cks for the sake of it. It is extremely arrogant of you to even attempt, in your presumably unqualified manner, to analyse my psychological make up on the strength of a few emails. Your expecting all Rover 75 drivers to be old says more about your own psychy than anyone else's.

There is nothing outdated at all about waving the flag of your country. If you don't agree with the principles of this country then do the right thing and go and live amongst those that hold the principles you do agree with - if there is anywhere like that.

Reply to
RacingFan

Ah, I see - you'd rather have some fat faceless British MD tosser sink millions into his personal fortune, rather than a Japanese one.

Personally, afaic the corporate cash is irrelevant, it's the workers that count. The higher management are disposable idiots.

So far all they've done with the 'millions of pounds' that are available are to filter them away into their own personal funds. If they made guarantees of any such nature, then it's pretty obvious why - they knew they would reap the benefit back many times over.

Actually I haven't read a single report of anyone deriding the workforce, it's martket base, or long term viability. They 'denigrate' the actions of it's upper management, because the actions they have taken are not the actions of people with a long term plan in mind, they are the actions of a small group of elite looking to fatten their coffers as much as possible before they jump ship, or before the ship sinks.

I haven't read any 'Daily Mail/Telegraph' reports tho, maybe their views are different...

Because I made a comment that I personally find the 75 a little dated. Oh how *very* unclassy of me to have an opinion that differs from your own. Good job I didn't tell you I also find it's also feels cramped in comparison to it's predecessor.

Such as saying that I personally find it a little dowdy and dated in appearance...

Get stuffed you lying monkey, I said I find the Rover 75 a little dowdy. How exactly is that a reference to anyone who drives one ?

Unfortunately your actions speak differently, seeing as you clearly have a problem with people who voice a slightly negative opionion on a car.

rotflmao.

Like hell you haven't. Is inferring people are 'unclassy' (for want of a better word) for not completely liking a car's styling an example of your idea of having no problem with other's opinions ?

I said I didn't like the way the car looked. That's hardly talking bollocks for the sake of it.

Get over it.

Oh, and any 'analysis' I make would also be based on the fact you don't appear to have any conception of your surroundings. This is neither a forum, nor is it e-mail...

And your apparent complete lack of an ability to read says a lot about you. Maybe you'd care to cut and past a quote where I said that Rover 75 drivers are old, as the text that I wrote said that you appeared old because you were an uptight snob and seem to think that 'Britishness' is something worth shouting about.

You appear to be reading different words to those I have actually written, how curious.

Reply to
Lordy

KERPLUNK!

Reply to
RacingFan

I think it has turned a classy looking car into a run of the mill characterless looking one that could be mistaken for for, was it the Lancia Thema, that had a grille like that? Did Peter Stevens design the facelift or was it left to the canteen staff?

Oh well, what with the "lovely" cityrover and now this I don't think the future looks that bright

Ferdie

I'll raise you one Yahtzee. And a >snip<

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

Looking at it, I get the feeling that it looks like a downmarket Merc.

Pimpmobile anybody?

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

I disagree, it looks much more modern. The old one looks stuffy now, before i thought it was great. Well done Rover. Ther guys on MG-rover.org are warming to it now after a little resistance. The new ZT looks great as well, similar to the ZT385 concept model without the wheelarch extensions.

Reply to
chris