Fan probs...

Having probs with my fan, in Rover metro 96.

The car was overheating due to water pipes being wrongly fitted. Now fine.

The thermostat was replaced, perhaps old one damaged due to overheating.

Fan switch replaced, but fan doesn't work. I tested the fan manually connecting the wires, and it does turn.

So my question now is.. how come it doesn't come on as the thermostat and fan switch are new.

1- Could the fan switch have been damaged as the engine overheated.. its set into the radiator.

2 - The bottom corner of the radiator is cold, but the rest is hot, could bad circulation cause this

3 - Could it be something else like the fuse.. or something else.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Garland

Does the fan come on when the engine temperature rises to way above 'normal'? If it does, then it's probably working ok.

Try leaving the engine running for a while whilst the car is standing still and the fan should 'cut in' after about ten to fifteen minutes and the temperature guage will probably read about three quarters of the way up the scale.

Remember, a modern day electric cooling fan is designed to only run when the engine reaches a pre-determined temperature and under normal 'running' conditions it will not cut in.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

It doesn't come on at all.

I've just got a new fan switch though the old one was just a month old, perhaps it was faulty, I'll give it a go.. overheated the engine a few times, but it seems to be ok.

Had to replace the thermostat, which was a real pain. Overheating is not supposed to effect the thermostat and fan switch, but I wonder if it did, as both went at the same time... at least I hope that's the problem.

Thanks

Reply to
Garland

There should be a relay somewhere under the bonnet in front of the passenger,, I don't know where exactly, the relay should be yellow in colour, a bit bigger than a oxo cube, when you find it, pull it out,,,,you will most likely find the contacts inside the plug connector it sits on corroded, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy