Frayed Wiring Loom

Does anybody know if there is a history of the wiring looms on the R75 rubbing against the nearside drive shaft and wearing?

My local dealer told me that "I must have hit something that dislodged the loom" when it wore through 500 miles after a service.

Now, that would seem to involve driving upside down with the bonnet open, but I'm just wondering if anybody else had seen this. In my case it caused an ABS failure.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Paul.

"Paul S. Brown" wrote in message news:buatta$fnr8f$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-169718.news.uni-berlin.de...

The only thing I found even remotely close to your problem was listed on

website, a case of wiring loom problems, especially in the electric seat wiring. I have pasted a copy of the findings below. Is yours a Longbridge build model? Apparently the Cowley built ones are prone to be dogs.

PDH

What's Bad The badly-timed debacles over the future of Rover which marred its launch, and the fiasco of March to May 2000. Driving position and handling at speed not in same class as Mondeo. Rear-seat passengers feel confined. Suspension clonks. Susceptible to strong side winds. Not easy to reverse. Hazard light switch hard to find. Standard 114bhp diesel is a bit underpowered. Head gasket failure common on 1.8 petrol engines because very low coolant capacity of engine means small leaks rapidly lead to overheating. Weakest point is water heated inlet manifold gasket. 1.8 K Series head gasket failures website link

No reported disasters like those of the KV6 in the 800. Have been problems obtaining body parts. Have been problems with broken keys with owners being quoted up to £160 for programmed replacements. Reports of electrical problems, especially in the electric seat wiring. Tend to wear their tyres unevenly, especially their rear tyres. What to Watch Out For Parking dings in easily damaged slab-side doors. A nice surprise is that Longbridge cars are better built with better handling. The easy way to distinguish a Longbridge (MG Rover) built 75 from a Oxford (BMW) built 75 is that Longbridge 75s have body colour sills and Oxford built cars have black sills. Early Oxford-built black-sill 75s need checking carefully for rust along door bottons and lower edge of boot. All Longbridge cars are fully EOBD compliant (3 oxygen sensors). THOUGH SITUATION NOW IMPROVING, SOME PARTS FOR ROVERS ARE NOT IMMEDIATELY OBTAINABLE, CAN RESULT IN LONG PERIODS OFF THE ROAD. Recalls

13/3/2000. 8,550 cars VIN RJ 001242 to RJ 127623 built between Feb '98 and Oct '99 recalled to correct crankshaft position sender fault which could cause the engine to cut out, announced Radio 4 News 10/3/2000. Sensors to be replaced with modified units. July 2002 recall of 13,000 Rover 75 and MG ZT models due to concerns about front coil spring breakage in cold and high corrosion operating conditions. Front coil springs to be replaced. 11-07-2002: 12,592 75s from VIN RJ001242 to RJ133299 recalled because "vehicles operating in high corrosion areas m,ay experience fracture of the front suspension road springs" which may lead to puncturing of the inner wall of a front tyre. front springs to be replaced.
Reply to
Paul Hubbard