Hydragas displacer gone on driver side

The suspension on my 96 P reg Rover 114GTA has depressurised on the driver side. Its done this a couple of times since I bought it (from new), and I've simply had it pumped back up at the local garage. However this time when they pumped the fluid in, it simply leaked out again around the front tire. The chap that did the work said that it was likely the hydragas displacer that had gone and would need replacing at a cost of about UKP200-300, although he didn't sound very confident about his diagnosis (it was a tyres and exhaust garage).

I cant afford this and I don't know much about cars so I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I could check this out for myself because a friend has told me that it might just be the connecting pipe that has come lose or punctured. In either case is this a problem for the garage, or is it something myself and farther-in-law could fix (he knows a bit more about cars and is a hands-on kind of guy)!

TIA

Colin

Reply to
Colin Steadman

sounds very expensive to me, hydrogas units arnt as expensive as they used to be and dont take that long to replace so my advice is shop around and get a better price from someone who has done the job before. you will struggle to do the job yourself unless you have a suspension pump. without this you will have to drive to a garage with the car dragging on the floor if you do it at home. of course it might be a pipe somewhere, but these hydro units do fail from time to time. good luck...

Reply to
steve

Take it somewhere for a second opinion. Whatever is leaking will need replacing, be it the pipe or whatever, and then you'll still need it pumping up again somehow.

Well the first thing you need to know, is to rearrange your budget somewhat. If you can't afford the odd couple of hundred quid bill, then you can't afford to run a car. If you need a car, then you need some money in reserve for situations exactly like this.

Reply to
Nom

Thank you both for the advice. We're going to take it to another garage this afternoon for that second opinion, and then get it repaired. I've decided its worth doing as mechanically the car is sound, and the engine is still surprisingly gutsy considering I drove it for the first five years of its life. Infacdt the car has been very reliable until now, this is the only thing thats ever gone wrong with it. Its just a shame the body work is starting to show the effects of british weather.

So we'll keep it a while longer and then give it away to some friends. I'd rather do that than sell it for nothing now!

Thanks again.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Steadman