Intermitent ABS light

Rover 220 Coupe the ABS light some times does not go out at start up and then for no reason comes on and off whilst driver.

Fluid pressure - fine Engine starts fine Electrics - can find a fault

This problem only started after I had the front rebuilt after a crash in whist the wheel hit a curb. No damage to wheel or bearings was found.

Ideas

Cheers AJ

Reply to
AJ

Should be interested in the response to this one, my 620 does the same except it is accompanied by a loud and extremely annoying buzzing Noise...

Not been crashed either I might add.

Reply to
Igundwane

I had this on a '93 420. It was a failed wheel sensor, which I gather is one of the most common faults with ABS. Connect a multimeter to the plug from the sensor (down by the wheel) and spin the wheel. It should give out a voltage (about 1V AC, from memory). Check which wheel isn't putting anything out.

The sensor works, I believe, by inducing a current as a toothed wheel on the hub rotates past.

I seem to recall reading about it initially on

and have seen something on the
discussion groups as well.

The sensors are ferociously expensive from Rover (about £170 with the mounting bracket), so I put a request onto one of the find-a-part breakers rings in the yellow pages and found a 2nd hand one. Mk1 400's and Mk2 200's with ABS are pretty rare so I had trouble in the normal breakers. I ended up with the entire hub assembly from a 200 Coupe and swapped it whole (having swapped the spring/damper back to my old one, of course) as it's almost impossible to remove the sensors once they've corroded in. It cost me about £35 as I recall.

Good luck! Adrian

Not been crashed either I might add.

Reply to
Adrian

Cheers mate thought it might be the sensor, that's one less problem to worry about and it is now a low priority.

AJ Happy Bunny

Reply to
AJ