Intermittent Start Problem

Please be gentle with me I'm completely clueless.

My wife has an M reg Rover 214SRi which is running well except every now and then it will not start! This doesnt seem to follow any pattern and can happen if the car is cold or warm. Once started it runs fine no power loss or cutting out while idling.

Its driving us both mad and I'd be really grateful if anyone can tell us if this a known problem or suggest any possible solutions.

With regards

David Brough

Reply to
david brough

Could be crankcase sensor, a favourite starting point!

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Thanx for trying to help

David

Reply to
david brough

My S Reg Rover (K-Series 1496cc engine) does that occasionally. Seems to be when the car's been parked for a while at a slight incline (usually front end slightly higher than the back) and more often than not, when it's damp.

Sometimes it won't fire and you have to wait 20 mins or so, after which it starts first go, and other times it fires but stalls when you take your foot off the gas - again after waiting patiently it's fine. Doesn't do it very often though, perhaps once a year.

But I'm starting to think my car's possessed, so my experienced aren't necessarily the norm!

Reply to
Jim Thacker

known starting issues, K-series rover:

vacuum pipe leading to ECU (under bonnet) check and clean out condensation which can build up inside pipe. clean inside distributor cap, another place condensation will appear. crank sensor, difficult to test as often it will be an intermittent fault, however not expensive or difficult to replace, located at the back of the engine into the gearbox flywheel housing. (8mm bolt) and lastly, the inevitable head gasket failure, extremely common on k-series

1.4 and 1.6 derivatives.

steve. Oxford.

Reply to
someone

I had a 216sli that did this for a while, the more I tried the longer it took to start. So I called out the RAC one time and when they turned up it started of course. They said that if you turn on the ignition and listen carefully to behind the passenger dash you should here a relay power up and click on, and then it will start. So when ever I got in the car I always turned on the ignition before putting on my seat belt and by that time it had clicked and I never had a problem after that. Chris

Reply to
outofthewoods