K series 1.8 VVC

Hi all

I looking for a good K series 1.8 VVC engine for a project (GTM Spyder Kit)

I was wonder which cars had this engine fitted, adnd upto what date where these engines used. Are they still in production?

Thansk for any help given

Regards

Vertuas

p.s. GTM site is at

incase anyone want to see

Reply to
vertuas

the 1.8vvc k-series was fitted to the rover 200 BRM i believe from around 96 to 2000 (not 100% on those dates) and also the MGF all models. although there were different power output options on the later models. but one asks.........why the K-series? i may be being sarcastic but countless head gasket failure repairs in my time as a technician leads me to comment "were there any GOOD K-series engines"

Reply to
steve

Hi Steve

The engine is for a kit car project

The kit manufacture have designed the car for the K series engine from the

1.1 throught to the 1.8. The kit would use the complete engine and transmission.

Would there be an alternative that i could consider, bearing in mind that i have to think about engine mounting location, etc????

thank again

Regards

Vertuas

Reply to
vertuas

Thanks for that but i don't have to kit yet, i am just considering my options at the moment.

Are the engined often for sale in Retro Cars? It may be a good place to look when i get sorted out.

Reply to
vertuas

there's one for sale on page 159 of the March issue of Retro Cars Magazine. To save you buying it the ad reads;

"K Series 1800cc VVT (sic) head and cams, block, new piston and liners, VVC Plenum throttle body and injectors, complete gasket set and stretch bolts, £1,100. Tel 01926 485140. Warwick"

Hope that helps and no, it's not me selling it.

Cheers,

Ian

Reply to
Ian Wilson

If you haven't bought the kit already then consider one of the ones they are now offering which take a Honda Vetec engine - supposedly a lot less failure prone than the K series and decently pokey as well.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

i would assume if your planning on building the kit yourself that your reasonably handy and technically minded, if so then i guess your options for a donor engine and box are unlimited, the honda option would be a great choice as mentioned by paul here, the rover 200's and 400's made use of the K-series and the V-tec honda engines so although the gearbox is mounted on the opposite end, installation wouldnt be too difficult. not quite sure why a kit like this would be designed around a K-series, it may be a marketing thing, but there are numerous options to choose from, the vauxhall eco-tec isnt a bad option either. good luck.

Reply to
steve

In spite of the comments made elsewhere in the group, I think the K series would make a great donor engine for a kit car. When intoduced, the engine was hailed for being light, powerful and efficient. The 1.1 and 1.4 engine has been fitted since 1989, and the reputation for head gasket failure did not become extreme until a few years ago. The larger versions of the K do seem to be a bit more fragile, not hugely surprising given that they were developed on the cheap using a block not designed for the purpose - but they are still fitted across the Rover range, not to mention the Freelander and Lotus Elise. The 1.6 Honda engine (suggested as an alternative) is not entirely problem-free either, and it is unlikely to fit without lots of grief - IIRC, the engine rotation is different, so the gearbox would be at the opposite side for starters. Rather than going straight for the VVC, my choice would be to go for a 1.4

16v version, preferably with MPI. This will give a very respectable 90-100ps, but best of all is available for peanuts from countless scrapped Rover 200/400 and Metro donor cars. It would then be a simple matter to uprate the engine should it be felt necessary after the car is complete - the modular nature of the K series making this swap straightforward.
Reply to
Bob Davis

LandRover are now offering unconditional block swaps if it's suspected the heads gone. Not particularly reassuring, and the Elise doesn't really ask much of the engine.

If you look at the company website you'll see that they have a variant of this kit set up especially for the V-tech

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

It is worth bearing in mind that things like the wiring loom have been created with the Kseries in mind. Not to mention the gear linkage. If you want to fit a different engine then join "Team GTM" they have a good forum with plenty of libra and spyder builders.

Allan

Reply to
Allan

Thanks for the link Allen