metro start problem

I have a 1994 metro 1.4 8 valve singlepoint. it has been sitting in my garage for a few months and when i came to start to begin my modifying there was no joy. The car turns over no problem but dosent fire up. ive heard that there is a common problem on these with the relays to the fuel pump just blowing. Does anyone have any idea what else it could be apart from the fuel pump?

Cheers, Kris

Reply to
Kris French

At the risk of sounding stupid, have you checked for damp in the distributor cap?

I don't know if your garage has a central heating boiler in it or not so I don't know if it is warm/ dry or not.

Also, try priming the fuel line again - you may need to turn the engine over for a bit longer than necessary. A few months is a long time not to have a car running. I worked on my '88 Metro 1.3L (some years ago, now I own a '97

200 series) and I had to replace the engine twice and it took a little longer to get the fuel through that first time after not running it for about 4-6 weeks.

You should be able to check the relay fairly easily with a home rigged kit of auto cable, a tail light bulb the relays and a car battery.

And of course there's always a loose fitting or intermittent connection that has now given up.

HTH

Keith

Reply to
Cotku

ive looked in the cap and the 4 contacts were white with carbon or whatever that white shit is called. i scraped some off with a screwdriver but i dont know if i should try replacing the cap.

Reply to
Kris French

It's an oxide coating - you were right to get rid of it. Use a piece of wire wool and a little petrol to remove as much as possible. Wipe the inside with a paper towel and replace the cap. Try it again.

Oh, and be careful where you get rid of the paper towel with the petrol on it.

The oxide coating acts as an insulator and stops the spark jumping across the each of the HT leads.

Make sure you give the rotor arm a wipe with the wire wool too.

HTH

Keith

Reply to
Cotku