old G reg 214 starting problem (too much choke?)

My girlfriends G reg rover 214 would not start the other day. I noticed there was a lot of unburnt petrol coming out of the exhaust. So I assumed the mixture was too rich. I managed to start it by fully depressing the throtle. Once started it ran very rough untill the engine had warmed up. For some time now the engine has been over reving whilst cold (approx 2000 revs). Thus I assume that the engine is using to much choke. How is the choke controled? I notice that there are various sensors around the car in places like the air intake,water temp etc.. also on the carb there appeers to be a couple of servos which I asume control the choke and throttle butterfly valves in the carb. Can somebody give me a detailed description of how this system works and what faults might cause this system to malfunction? Thankyou for your time..

Sean Worlock....

Reply to
sean worlock

Is it definitely a carb engine? Most 214 were fuel injected (though the early ones such as yours used single-point injection which looked very much like a complicated carburettor).

Hint: If it's a twin-cam engine then it'll be injected, likewise the single cam version was carb fed (and quite rare).

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis