Overheating on 1998 Rover 620 Ti

Hi.

I've just bought a 1998 R reg Rover 620 Ti (to replace my old M Reg Rover 620 Ti) and whilst it seems generally sound it has a problem with overheating.

It generally runs a lot hotter than my old Rover, though this is possibly due to the air con radiator partially blocking the flow of air to the main radiator. My old Rover Ti, which doesn't have aircon, used to drive along with the temperature gauge about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way up, and never overheated. This one drives along with the temperature gauge about 1/2 of the way up and rises very quickly as soon as I'm stationary - not a problem so long as the fans kick in, but this doesn't always happen.

When I parked up for a while after a long run a week or so ago the temperature gauge rose into the red and stayed there until I could hear (and see, when I opened the bonnet) the coolant boiling - I later discovered I'd lost about 2-4 litres of coolant. Scarily the engine was still running at this point, and hadn't cut out.

The overheating seemed to be happening because the fans weren't kicking in when they should, so I replaced the fan sensor switch (larger brass- coloured part next to the smaller temperature gauge sensor).

However, the fans still aren't coming in when they should, which is bizarre - anyone got any ideas?

(there's a load of insulation tape around the wiring to the fans, so somebody might have done something to it at some stage)

I'm loath to leave it with a garage as chances are they'll leave it running and damage the engine if it overheats without cutting out...

Reply to
Pete Scathe

In article , Pete Scathe writes

Check the fans are not seized/very stiff to turn.

Try connecting the fans directly (short out the switch) does the fan come on?

Check the engine thermostat is not seized.

IF all fails find an Xpart Auto centre as they have the kit to diagnose. Martin Boast Reply as required

Reply to
Martin Boast

Hi, I would say the coolant temp sensor(CTS) is dodgy. I've found that sometimes the new ones arnt any good.

If you unplug the connector on to the CTS with the engine running does the fans come on? Do the fans come on when you turn the air-con on?

If not then you want to check your fuses and relays.

I have a 95 Ti that doen't have air con but am using a 97Ti's rad which has the aircon rad on(I coulndt get it off) without a problem(now I've change the CTS again), so thats not the problem.

You may want to search on

where lots of people have a Ti or cars with the same engine (it's called a T16).

Dan

Reply to
Dan Gibbs