Re: Consumption Problems

Depending on how worn the cylinder is, a decoke will remove some of the piston sealing carbon. You might well wait 500 - 1000 miles to bed in again.

I have done a complete top end over-haul on my 1992 Rover 214sli after > suffering a cracked head. I did everything including an acid dunk, decoke, > recut valve seats, new stem oil seals and hand-lapped > valves. I got it back together last night, started it and it starts no > problem. However, consumption was high before and its still high. As bad as > 22mpg sometimes. I drive really gently aswell! Whats easiest and cheapest to > start checking/changing? I need this solved! > >
Reply to
Paul Segynowycz

Is this a single point or multi-point fuel injected model?

Single points can wear to over fuel, was this re-calibrated? Rover dealers can do this!

Multi-points are generally more fuel efficient as fuel is more accurately dosed per cylinder.

Hope this helps.

In article , Dean Carpenter writes

Martin Boast

Reply to
Martin Boast

Get it to a garage, and get the emissions checked out. If it's not running rich, then you've probably got a leak. If it IS running rich, then you're engine management light should be lit - but whether it is or not, you've got problems with your injection system. Has it got a Lambda sensor ? I'd start by replacing this.

You can pretty much forget about the engine mechanicals - the injection system controls the fuel flow.

Reply to
Nom