Rover 200 Battery Light

A couple of days ago I had an unexpected flat battery. I got the battery tested and they said it was fine, just needing a re-charge. I re-charged it for 12 hours so it was fully charged and put it back in my car. All systems are now go apart from the battery light on the dash that doesn't come on at Position II. The starter motor turns fine but the engine won't start.

It says in the user manual what is wrong if the light fails to go out but not what is wrong when the light never comes on at all.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
Morg Man

Normally, the alternator charge circuit puts a red light up if it is not charging the battery ( i.e. if the car is at a standstill with the engine off, or the alternator is undercharging the battery when the engine is running). In your case it sounds like the alternator control itself is not working correctly and as a result is unable to charge the battery nor put the red light up on the dask. Check your fuses in both boxes and if you can, borrow a test meter from sombody to check the battery charge voltage when the engine is running. 13.5 to 14 volts is around the right figure. I have had an alternator part go on the lam due to worn brushes, this fault resulted in no light on the dash and the battery charge rate hovering around the 9 to 10 volts figure.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Also check the lamp itself, as if the lamp fails the alternator will not charge the battery.

For an alternator to work it need small current to start operating, this is supplied via the lamp. Once the engine is running the alternator then runs off its own current.

It is also important that the lamp is the correct wattage.

Chilly

Reply to
chillypenguin

This would explain why on the Norfolk Broads my G Fathers boat did not start ANY morning - once the mechanic charged the battery it woke up and then was OK till morning. Then a lamp was mentioned, charge and resistance - and we had a bulb on all the time he said.

I didn't see it but then I was young... :)

Reply to
Dark Star