Rover 214 clutch release arm replaced?

My 1995 Rover 214 SLi has a very unpleasant clutch - the biting point is much too high. The car has done 29,000 miles, but was owned by a very old lady who just did local trips. It is possible the clutch is very worn despite the low mileage.

According to the workshop manual there is a self adjusting mechanism in the cable, so I thought this might have failed and bought a new cable.

I removed the old cable, and fitted the new one to the pedal, but then realised that the the fitting on the clutch release arm is nothing like the picture in the workshop manual. Is it likely the release arm has been replaced with the wrong part, or is the manual just wrong?

Reply to
Chris Melluish