Rover 214i Stalling - could it be the inertia switch??

I think it is in the boot on the right hand side in front of the rear light cluster. ICBW though. Change the fuel pump relay. My 214 did this one night as I left work. It would idle and drive for about four hundred yards and then just die. A change of relay and it hasn't happened again in six months. Does the fuel pump prime when the ignition is switched on?

Reply to
gazzafield

It is in the centre console according to autodata and my memory.

My first thing to replace (at little cost) is the rotor arm (assuming your year still has one) as I had this fault on an earlier one, you could drive for a while and then it would die, after a little coaxing it would go again or you might have to wait. AA diagnosed coil, I replaced that but the symptoms were the same, so I changed the rotor arm just in case (although it looked perfect) and the car went and kept going.!

Another thing on those that causes a lot of aggro is the vacuum pipe that goes to the ECU, it can crack, or the nipple on the ecu can crack or snap off, the resulting air leak makes them run terribly.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

There is nothing wrong with your memory, it's tucked just behind the centre console and can be seen if you lean in over the drivers seat with your head in the foot well.

Agreed with the rest of the diagnosis, although I have known the pump and pump relay to fail. Also you get bad running with cutting out if the crankcase sensor is going senile.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Could be the timing. Best thing to do would be to set your computer clock correctly.

Reply to
David R

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 12:26:15 -0000, "Steve Harvey" wrote this with the utmost thought:

As was mentioned later, you didn't recollect hearing the fuel pump prime when you switched on the ignition. If you don't hear this before turning the engine over then you're in for a new fuel pump. It's a b*sta*d of a job but not impossible and new pumps are expensive. I've had lots of odd problems caused by failing fuel pumps, on a variety of vehicles and your's sounds like it's on its last legs.

Reply to
losttheplot

I have just rigged up an LED connected to the feed to the pump so that I can eliminate any possible electrical problem (ie ECU, relay or intertia switch). I noticed that the pump is not usually energised by turning the ignition on, it only comes on during/after cranking. I had previously believed that the ECU operated the pump for a few seconds after ignition was switched-on and then stopped if the engine was not running. I supppose this could be an ECU issue.

Pump circuit is

One other thing I noticed when filling with fuel, was that there was a hissing sound when I removed the filler cap indicating that there is a partial vacuum in the tank. Does this indicate a breather pipe problem?

According to the fault finding reference at the back of the Haynes manual, one possible cause of stalling is a blocked breater/vent.

If so, where is this blockage likely to be...

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Harvey

Check the cap itself, some filler caps have the breather as part of the cap design.

PDH.

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Hi, I am looking at a Rover 2.4i (L-Reg) with an intermittent stalling problem which appears to be fuel starvation. According to the wiring diagram in the Haynes workshop manual, there in an "inertia switch" in line between the fuel pump relay and the electric fuel pump.

So that I can eliminate this as a source of the problem, I need to find this switch and bypass it.

Does anyone know where on the car this "inertia switch" is located ???

Thanks in advance

Steve Harvey steveharvey [at] dsl [dot] pipex [dot] com

Reply to
Steve Harvey

"gazzafield" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

This morning it happened to me twice. Each time the engine just died. When I tried to re-start it, it just turned over without firing. I left it switched off for 30 seconds and then I switched the ignition back on and cranked it but it still would not start. I then waited another 30 seconds and when i turned the ignition on I could hear a humming sound from the rear of the car (presumably the fuel pump) which was not heard the first time. This time when I cranked it, it started immediately.

This pattern was exactly the same each time - presumably the hum was the pump priming/pressurising the fuel system.

I tried to look for the inertia switch but was not in the mood to remove any trim so I have swapped the fuel pump relay with another oridentical to see it if it makes any difference.

Thanks for the advice...

Steve

Reply to
Steve Harvey

on your model its behind radio at back of center console later 200/25s have it under bonnet "gazzafield" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

Reply to
starmann

fuel pump relay you talk about is in the fusebox under bonnet . it runs for about 2 seconds to prime fuel rail. it does not run again until it detects engine speed

thats industrial standard. does not matter if its multipoint or single injector. "gazzafield" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

Reply to
starmann