Rover 214si miss fire

Have purchased a Rover 214si and to be honest I am very pleased with the car so far its on a 96 plate (n reg) but I notice that when I start the car its missing for the first mile or two then seems to stop. The car has done 45k miles with a full rover service history. Could it be the plugs is there any checks that I can do? It also does this if the engine is warm if I drive for

15mins then stop for 20mins then go and drive again it will be a little jumpy for the first 2 miles. Any help would be appreciated

Knobby

Reply to
Knobby

Whoops, 8 pints strikes again.... Didns't mean to mail this straight to you, mean to put into into the group.

If this changes I will presume you have bought this rather elderley (although newer than mine) car a reg plate :)

Miss fireing when cold?

Could be the dizzy cap, mine cracked at one of the screws making it hang off a bit, just enough for damp to get in made it a bugger to start as well though.

Hmmm, not likely to be the above then..... Like you say, check the plugs, whilst at it change leads too, thinking about it, you said N reg didn't you, probably hasn't got a dizzy or a rotor arm then (if it has change them).

Other than that, although mine never caused any issue, check the oil for mayonaise and water for oil make sure the HG isn't going although that shouldn't cause this, might be worth giving it a full service and seeing if that solves it.

I hope something above proves helpful.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Cheers Tim

Just taken the car for a spin this morning and washed and cleaned it lifted bonnet and staerted usual checks. Expansion tank was near empty car has just had a 6000mile service at Rover dealer and when I bought the car I checked this and it was full of nice new anti freeze mix. Topped up tank and gave the pipe a good squeeze. Could hear a hissing sound kept squeezing and saw water dripping down under car. Coming I think from the head gasket this may be the reason for the miss fire!!!

Rang the owner of the garage who sold me the car with 12 months tax and 3 months RAC warranty he also gave me in writting a 6 month Head Gasket warranty because he said that this model was prone to this fault. But I honestly thought I would get more than 2 days trouble free driving.

Cheers

Reply to
Knobby

Before you have the head stripped, check for a leaking inlet manifold gasket...If the leak is by the intake, there is a fair chance that the seal is broken. This is a problem which has caught many techs off guard. Not only will there be water leaking outwards, a fair amount of water can get into a cylinder.

Reply to
malc

cheers mal it was indeed the inlet manifold that was leaking into the cylinder this has now been fixed by the garage where i bought the car

Reply to
Knobby

Glad you got it sorted...very common fault.

Reply to
malc