Rover 214si not turning over...common problem?

Hi,

Left my car out in the open & wasn't used for a week (during really damp weather). Hopped in it last night....turned the engine for ages - wouldn't start. eventually the battery went flat.

no probs methinks...whip it off & charge it overnight.

I slapped it in this morning, went to turn the key....not much happening.

Therefore I'd have to suspect a flakey connection to the solenoid or starter engine OR the solenoid/starter motor itself.

It's going to be dark when I get home & I just want to know what i'm up against...

  1. how easy is it to take the solenoid or starter motor off the engine?

  1. Is there a common problem here...ie likely to be the solenoid blah, blah.

  2. Is the solenoid switching +12v or an earth on the Rover 214si (1997)?

  1. If it is the solenoid or starter motor...are they strippable/fixable or is it a scrapyard jobbo?

Many thanks in anticipation for your replies.

rgds, Rob.

Reply to
rob s.

Have the battery tested before removing the starter. Sounds like after the week off, the batt didn't have enough juice for the starter and a bit left over to power the ignition.

Alternatively try jump starting from a running engine.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

does the engine turn over? if so starter motor should be ok, check the distributor cap, remove it, clean it and dry out the damp (common problem) you will need a 7mm small socket.

Reply to
steve

Reply to
Andrew Murray

I've suffered something very similar in similar weather. Before you do anything else charge up the battery!

Then take off the distributor cap - you'll probably find its dripping wet inside! Dry it all out and then try starting it.

HTH

Reply to
Andrew Murray

IF the engine is turning over:

Sounds like damp. My 214Si sits out all the time. I use it on a daily basis but when I had to go into hospital I had someone turn it over for about 10 minutes every other day.

Depending on your location, the damp could be more of a problem. I'm about

800 feet above S.L. but the area is sheltered by thickly planted trees.

Even if I am not driving for a week or two, I will always try to turn over the engine for about 10 minutes every other day.

-----------------

IF the engine turns over and appears to jam or turns over with difficulty:

Sounds like the starter has had it. It happened to me. £150 all in at the local Rover dealer to replace it.

Sorry, I can't help you here. Best get hold of a Haynes manual. 3399 for a

1997 car.

Most likely the damp.

I'm not sure but from an electrics point of view, a switch is always best used to isolate the positive supply. Given the amperage of a typical car battery, I would suspect that this is also the case with auto-electrics.

BTW, it's 3399 - since you mention it's a 1997 - same as mine.

I once had a gennie fixed for about a third of the price of a new one. The guy even guaranteed it for a year.

I'm not sure if the solenoid can be fixed easily but the starter may be.

HTH

Keith

Reply to
Cotku