Rover 214SLi 1992 J Reg - Fan Switch & Relay?

The engine is overheating and the fan is not running (although the fan itself is OK.) Can anyone please advise where the electric fan switch is located on the cooling system and is there a relay on this model? Unfortunately I bought a Haynes manual for a later model which does show a relay. Graham

Reply to
g.brownlee

Hi,

The thermostatic switch that operates the fan is mounted on the off-side of the radiator. The fan receives it's current via the ignition switch, fuse 4 in the engine compartment fusebox and the fan relay (described in Haynes as, "Engine compartment fusebox, rear relay of left-hand two"). The thermostatic switch is fed by fuse 15 in the underdash fusebox and thus activates the relay when the temperature has risen enough.

Check the fuses first and if they are ok I would suspect the thermostatic switch. Try disconnecting the wiring plug from the thermostatic switch and bridging the contacts. If the fan now works then that rules out any wiring faults and almost certainly points to a faulty thermostatic switch.

HTH

Reply to
Michael Cotton

Hi Thanks for the info. Another respondent had pointed me in the right direction. The fan works OK when the switch contacts are bridged, so it is almost certainly the thermo switch. I bought a supposed 'compatible' one for a fiver, but the grommet was too small for the hole in the radiator. I now have one on order from a Rover agent at about £25! I hope it fits.

thermostatic

Reply to
Graham Brownlee