Rover 218 SLD revs surging

Hi there,

Got a problem with my 218 SLD ('91), which seems to be getting worse. It involves surges in the revs, which at motorway speeds will see it accelerate quite markedly by about five mph. Then after a while it'll suddenly drop off and slow down again.

Then I'll pull up to a stop and the idle speed will rise and fall like the ticking of a clock between about 600 and 1,100rpm. Eventually it'll smooth out.

The problem is not there all the time, but seems to develop quite quickly on motorway journeys.

The fuel filter was replaced when this problem was in its infancy and that seemed to do the trick for a while, but now the gremlins are back with a vengeance.

I'd be grateful for any help or advice.

Reply to
White Downs

check for air leaks, blocked fuel filter and while at the filter have a look at the fuel to make sure theres no water floating round in there.

Reply to
ajsmith

Many thanks for your suggestions. I'll give them a go.

Reply to
White Downs

lets hope its something that simple and not your pump going a bit dodgy :-(

Reply to
ajsmith

After replacing ajsmith with a small shell script on Wednesday 13 December

2006 19:07, the following appeared on stdout:

Check, first, the turbo control valve on the back of the pump. This happened to mine and it gave me much grief until I asked the right person who pulled off the pipe and showed me the diaphragm had split in the valve, allowing diesel into the pipe. This collects in the turbo, and gets thrown into the inlet which makes the engine surge and smoke like hell.

Check before you write the pump off. It's a common fault, especially if you have ever used bio-diesel.

Reply to
Chronos