Rover 220 SDi non-start problem

I have a 1998 Rover 220 SDi, and it is refusing to start.

All warning lights come on OK as normal, battery is fully etc etc. No beeping from the immobiliser, so it's not that... However, when the key is turned to the start position, nothing at all happens - engine doesn't try and turn at all. This sort of suggests an electrical fault, like a dodgy relay or switch.

Has anyone come across this on a 200 before, is it a known problem ?

Cheers

Reply to
Beezer

Yes, had this before. Its one of two things.

1) The ignition key barrel is defective. 2) (as happened to me), poor connection from the battery lead into the main 150amp system fuse, the fuse itself, and the flylead from the main fuse box onwards.

Usually, with (2) the central locking refuses to operate as well. The immobiliser system can be heard to click but all systems on the car, main and auxiliary, are stone dead. If the centre cabin light.fader works, the radio works, the central locking works and the lights work, suspect the ignition switch first. They do go a bit funny.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Hi,

You did not say if you get a click from the starter solenoid when you try to start? Just a thought could be starter stuck?

Reply to
Lee Shepherd