Rover 414 SLi

Hi

I bought a Rover 414 SLi - I was told that the central locking didnt work, and that the key fob flashed but had no effect. there is only one button (a rough one) the other is missing. No problem i thought - the key still locks the door so....

anyway the battery was as the proverbial pancake - so I replaced it. Got into the car which made the alarm sound - couldn't turn it off so disconnected battery again (silence!) figured out which fuse controlled the alarm and removed it. Reconnected battery and now the car wont start.

It doesn't turn over, battery and connections are fine.

Before I start to curse my luck that the starter motor decided to fail just as the car had a new owner - it occurs that Rover may have put an immobiliser into the car and the alarm has triggered it....

So, my questions are these. How can I stop the alarm? Is there an immobiliser? does the same fuse for the alarm have something to do with the starting circuit? can I disable the immobiliser? anyone got a sledgehammer?

thanks in advance

dave

Reply to
daverees

Yep it's the immobiliser! they all do that sir! Reconnect the battery and go to your Rover dealer and get a new remote keyfob! 1 button opens door etc and the other one resets the immobiliser

AJ

Reply to
AJ

Many thanks!