Rover 418 several problems- help appreciated

Hi guys,

My once trusty 418 SLD turbo Diesel (1995 MK1)has been giving me problems since Christmas, I had a head gasket job done in January, and have had these issues develop since then:

1) Engine struggles to keep running AFTER firing, seems to be a fuel problem, if I pump the button on the filter she seems to start fine. Fuel consumption seems to have gone up but I have no sign of a leak!

2) Power steering screeches when on full lock either direction, this seems to get better when the engine is warm.

3) I have unusually large amounts of blue smoke when starting, it clears quite quickly but is getting disconcerting.

4) I am now getting a brake problem, the breaks seem unusually spongy some of the time, they still stop the car, but the pedal feels different and does not seem to depress as far as normal. This is intermittant and is OK 90% of the time. Fluid levels are fine.

5) Stupid thing: Someone broke my radio aerial off and I cannot get a replacement! Its the roof-pedastal mounted style that is fitted above the drivers door, generic aerials don't fit, anyone know where I can get one?

Any help on this stuff REALLY appreciated

Cheers

Kneewax

Reply to
Kneewax

This sounds like it could be a leak in your fuel pipe, with air getting into the fuel supply, and being driven out when you use the priming pump. You could fit a short section of clear pipe in the fuel line and see if you can see air bubbles.

I have no idea why that might happen, other than having a low hydraulic fluid level in the power steering system.

Sounds to be symptomatic of glow-plug failure. It could possibly be a problem with oil-stem valve seals, which could conceivably have been damaged when the head-gasket was replaced, but it's a bit unlikely.

Normally I would suggest bleeding the brake system, but this in combination with the power steering problem makes me wonder if the vacuum pump has been damaged, or possibly it's drive belt has not been refastened properly (IIRC, the pump is located on a braket on the back of the cylinder head, and so could have been replaced improperly, again possibly when the head gasket was replaced). Are you sure the 'squealing' from the power steering is actually from the steering and not from the vaccuum pump belt slipping under load?

You can check if your brake servo is working o.k. by pressing the brake pedal a few times (with engine off) until it goes solid. Then, keeping a foot on the brake, start the engine. The pedal should sink slightly. If it doesn't, then you have a brake servo problem, (which could be a vaccuum pump problem...)

Sorry, not the foggiest. You tried a coat hanger? :-)

Nicht problem, hope you get it sorted.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

Thanks Andy, thats given me loads to look into.

Many thanks

Kneewax

Reply to
Kneewax

You shouldn't have any trouble finding one at a breakers yard.

Reply to
Michael Cotton

Thanks I just got one, but cannot get the cable of the old one out of the pillar, I just cannot trace the cable from behind the dash, and unlike other cars just pulling does not work! Guess I am just doomed to crackly radio!!

Kneewax

Reply to
Kneewax

Interesting faults.

Not too sure about the 218 series but usually the aux belt goes around the vacuum pump as well as the power steering pully. A slipping or poorly adjusted belt will cause several problems.

a) Poor charging, does it squeal when a full electrical load is stuck on the system? b) Power steering demands are greatest in full lock positions, which will cause squealing on a poorly fitted belt. c) Low vacuum problems will be prevalent. d) If you have aircon as well, it will really cause problems.

I would suggest that you inspect the belt and tension assembly, it may be that the old belt has been overtensioned during refit and has now stretched. Run your finger along the back of the belt and check for cracks. If in doubt, fit a new belt, it could probably need one anyway.

With the blue smoke problem, two things come to mind and it will be given away if she is a bitch to start. Using a test meter, check that power is actually getting to the glowplug system. There is a weak spot in the form of the glow plug relay which internally soots up with fine black muck. Sometimes a contact clean with a piece of paper (silver contacts need care) will make the relay work correctly, or the coil may be shot. Also check that they have reconnected the glowplug line or have not managed to blow the glowplug fuse which is a favorite screwup with back street garages who seem to forget to refit it, turn the engine over, the connector is touching ground and the rest is history. A quick test is to get a 12volt lamp and connect it between the glowplug line and the chassis, then turn the ignition to the running position. The lamp should light, then go out after a set period if the engine is hot. Finally, the glowplugs may be burnt out, a good testmeter may indicate if they are open circuit but you have to remove the wire connector first before checking.

Rotsa ruck!

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Also forgot.

This is a possible symptom that the timing is out, usually by not more than a belt cog on the pullys. It makes the car run like a dog, high fuel consumption, starts like a bitch, lack of power when accelerating, no engine bite. If this sounds familiar, have it checked over because if when the head gasket was done they didn't use a camlock device, its a certainty that they muffed the job.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Thanks for all your pointers on these issues chaps, I have had an estimate to fix the issues, you were all right about the vacuum pump, other issues are replacement glow plugs required, fuel system has air in as suggested here. Plus I am overdue for a full service. So thats it the day has come to admit defeat, for the cost of repair out weighs the value of the car. This saturday will be buy a new car day! Guess the old rover will have to head towards ebay!

Thanks for all your help guys (and gals.

IF its another Rover I'll be chatting again soon!

Cheers Kneewax

Posted via Google since BT dropped this group yesterday!

Reply to
Kneewax