rover 420 diesel cam belt change

Hi I have just bought a 96 rover 420 sd and need some help. The last owner told me the cam belt had been changed at

84k miles the car has now done 108k miles and I thought I read some were they need changing every 24k , making it in need of one now .So what I need to know is am I correct in thinking this?
Reply to
simon dale

Rover recommend replacing both belt every 84,000, or 7 years.

Reply to
malc

...both of which are very optimistic !

5 years, 50,000 miles is the rule of thumb - doesn't matter what car (unless it needs more frequent changes, obviously :)
Reply to
Nom

Reply to
simon dale

Reply to
Tony

I always found the 84k mark optimistic and usually opt for the 60k mark as a maximum figure for a cambelt change. The Rover dealer will most probably try and talk you out of it but be insistant.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Nope - a couple of hundred quid at the very most, at your local garage.

Reply to
Nom

I was in my mates garage today and looked on the Autodata CD re my

218SD cambelt. On there it states 72k / 6 years. It was last changed at 113k and it's now done 172k so based on the advice to the list it's due for a change now?

I'll get a belt and book some time on his 2 poster lift and do it this week .. my mate suggests the 'tricky bit' may be getting the crank pulley off?

Any thoughts on that one (or anything else on the 1.9 non turbo) please?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's a Puegeot engine - you'd be better off asking on the .peugeot or .maintenance groups.

Reply to
Nom

Good point Nom, but it's done now ;-)

In fact the crank pulley came off quite easily with the air gun (I noticed the alternator belt had been put into the wrong grooves though).

Ther akward bit was sitting on the floor with my finger over 1/4" diameter hole that appeared in the steel waterpipe that goes beside the crank pulley (waiting for my mate to come off the phone and get me the water drain thingy) ! I caught one of the scabs of rust on the chassis and out all the coolant poured. ;-(

Anyway, the local Rover (now Seat) dealer got me one in for the afternoon (40 quid trade though) and now it's all fine again (till the next thing?). I did consider of giving the outside of the metal pipe a couple of decent coats of paint before I fitted it but thought if it's lasted 11 years and 170k as it was ... ?

What with 40 quid for the pipe, 30 quid for the throttle cable and 10 quid for the cam belt, that's 20 quid short of what I paid for the car in the first place ;-)

I'm getting used to it though .. front wheel drive n all (don't let the 22 yr old Sierra hear me say that ..) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

|| T i m wrote: ||| I was in my mates garage today and looked on the Autodata CD re my ||| 218SD cambelt. On there it states 72k / 6 years. It was last changed ||| at 113k and it's now done 172k so based on the advice to the list ||| it's due for a change now?

change before 60K on an older engine whatever the books say I have been out at too many peugot (f***ed) engines with belt gone....... ||| ||| I'll get a belt and book some time on his 2 poster lift and do it ||| this week .. my mate suggests the 'tricky bit' may be getting the ||| crank pulley off?

Air gun then copper hammer easy! if you've got the tools!)

8mm bolts to stop the pump cam etc turning, n/s engine mount off, axle stand under the sump, (not in that order!) use the ramp to raise and lower the engine (doddle)

||| Any thoughts on that one (or anything else on the 1.9 non turbo) ||| please?

one of my collegues can do one in less than an hour from driving in to the workshop! book is 3.5 hours. IIRC

|| It's a Puegeot engine - you'd be better off asking on the .peugeot or || .maintenance groups.

Its easier to do than on a peugot/citroen because there is more room in the engine bay

Good luck

Des

Reply to
Des