Rover 420 (W Reg, 2000), Fuel warning light

Can someone shed any light for me as to whether the orange fuel warning light is derived from the same fuel gauge sender as the fuel level meter. Looking at the schematic in the Haynes Manual would suggest the warning lamp has +12v potential at one end and when the wiper on the potentiometer of the fuel gauge is down (i.e. the fuel is low), then the potential to earth via the gauge is higher and so the lamp lights up.

I could be wrong here and Haynes have been known to print incorrect diagrams so thought someone here could help. Hopefully it's something simple as a faulty lamp in the instrument panel, but best be prepared in case it isn't!

Many thanks

Neil (Manchester, UK)

Reply to
Neil

Rob Beech

According to the 420 Haynes manual up to R reg then yes, however on the 620 it uses a switch on the sender to switch the light on or off (though mine fades in and out as though it were connected as per the 400 series).

However, the Rover RAVE manual shows the 400 ('97 model) to use a separate switch on the sender as well, just like the 600 series. Confused? I know I am!

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

my 620 SDi (R reg) fades in and out, its not on a switch

Reply to
Vertuas

Cheers for all your responses.

Yep, mine also fades out which makes me suspect it runs via the normal fuel sender and possibly not a switch. I'll be having a look in to this next week so will hopefully find out for definite then.

Reply to
Neil

Sounds like penny-pinching to me; wouldn't have cost much to use a separate switch! It's probably possible to wire a simple circuit so that the light switches on/off very definitely instead of fading - maybe a small relay and a low-value resistor?

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Further to this, I've had a look at the car today and the fuel sender does have two separate 'senders', one a float switch for the fuel warning lamp and another for the gauge. Looks like I'll be after another fuel sender, time to pay a trip to the local breakers!! Rover would probably want to charge the earth!!

Reply to
Neil