Rover 620ti gearbox problem

I'm having gearbox trouble with my Rover 620ti.

When changing up to fifth gear above 3,000rpm, there is a loud crunching noise before the gear is engaged. The gearchange is smooth in all other gears - and is perfectly fine in fifth below 3,000rpm.

One friend recommended changing the gearbox oil, just in case that was the cause, but it hasn't made any difference so it's looking like the synchromesh is damaged.

I know the gearbox is notoriously weak on these cars, so I was expecting trouble sooner or later. If anyone has had this problem, can they say roughly how many miles their gearbox lasted once this fault had developed?

When it gets worse, is it worth getting it repaired by a proper gearbox technician or will an exchange unit work out cheaper? And does the TI have its own gearbox or does it just use the standard Rover 620 one?

Cheers.

Reply to
Tyler D

620 TI has it's own gearbox.

Same box is used in the 200 Turbo, 400 Turbo, and 800 Vittesse Turbo (the

200bhp one, NOT the older 180bhp one) with slightly different ratios.
Reply to
Nom

Reply to
starmann

If you do go down that route, specify that proper metal racers are to be used as opposed to the plastic jobbies that cause the failure in the first place.

PG1 box, used on lots of Rover models but the ti application has a Torsen diff fitted.

Reply to
Lordy

200, 400 and 800 do too. It's only the early 180bhp 800 that misses out the TorSen :)
Reply to
Nom

I know, I meant with regard to the the application on the 600 range.

Reply to
Lordy

Ah :)

Reply to