Rover 75 reliability

After seven years of trouble free motoring from a Honda Accord I am seriously tempted by the offers on the Rover 75 CDTI Connoisseur SE. My only concern is the long term reliability of the car. Can anyone help with their own experience with this car? Many thanks.

Reply to
dc2

After seven years of trouble free motoring from a Honda Accord I am seriously tempted by the offers on the Rover 75 CDTI Connoisseur SE. My only concern is the long term reliability of the car. Can anyone help with their own experience with this car? Many thanks.

Reply to
dc2

But they're cheap for a good reason...

Not wonderful in some cases, depending on the engine. Avoid the 1.8 and 2.0 petrols. Indeed the 2.5 is great but very thirsty. Stick with the diesel :) a good engine (not brilliant but suits the car well), that and the ride are the strengths of the car.. as for the rest you may well find you'll run out of some part or another in the future. Oh and of the two diesels, the higher powered one is the model to have.

Not the best long term ownership experience. If the Accord isn't broken, don't replace it just yet?

Have you tried the Honda 2.2 diesel?

Reply to
DervMan

Reply to
dc2

The 75 is a fantastic car. My Classic SE CDT has done 99k miles and feel 'new'. The diesel is the one to go for - there are no head gasket issues and the BMW engine is the best diesel that I've come across especially as you won't get the new Honda engine in a used car for similar money (even if the the rest of the car was as good as the 75!)

You don't need the 131ps version - any 116 model and one of my Tu3 tuning boxes for =A3129 will give it 144 reliable hp (45zs.info)

Apart from the usual wear & tear items, maf sensors (again effectively cured for =A356 with my Mf75p mafam, or =A3220 for a new one), the only occasional fault is the in-tank &/or under bonnet low pressure fuel pump. These cost =A3185 & =A3135 respectively so not the end of th world. I have had no problems with these, nor anything else to date.

The MG-Rover.org forum is always worth a visit, as is the MGandZTclub

Ron

Reply to
Roverron

You desperately need to try other diesels. The 75's 2.0 diesel is a good example but it's not the best.

It's a very different ball game though. I'd put my money in an older, more used Honda than any Rover 75...

Good luck.

Reply to
DervMan

I bought a 75 cdt after owning an Accord 2.0 excec ... I've regretted it ever since I'm happy enough with the performance (after all it is a diesel) but I've had no end of problems ... some of which should have been sorted by recalls but weren't e.g. Broken front spring, corroded connections on ABS wiring, failed adhesive on rear window. Others faults include worn bottom suspension ball joint which is only supplied as part of suspension arm, leaking rear damper.

I am desparately saving for a Honda diesel Accord ... but it seems to be two steps forward and one step backwards due to cost of repairs

Reply to
Major Isewarter

The diesel versions are great cars if you don't mind putting up with well known BMW sucker punches - failure of MAF sensors and lack of fuel due to failed fuel pumps - cost of each around £300+ including labour. My brother-in-law's MGZTT needed both before 60K miles, but he does achieve around 35mpg.

My 75 2.5 petrol Connoisseur SE Hi-Line, owned from new, has done 118K in 6 years, hasn't required any major repairs, still has the original exhaust and still gives me around 30mpg - more on a long run; 2 weeks ago we did 600 miles from the West Country to Snowdonia and back on A and B roads up hill and down dale and still averaged 33mpg! Apart from a new aircon fan motor and battery, all it has cost apart from tyres (Dunlop 17", 28-30K per set) is the servicing - which incidentally works out at my dealers at around 50% of the cost of the same for my old Rover 216GTi! The 75 also gives me better fuel consumption.

The Rover 75/MGZT are still the best value for money cars around, and now that Clarkson and his Britain-stabbing media ilk have done their work the cars are even better value for money... ...and far better value than Hondas.

Good luck,

Steve.

Reply to
news.btconnect.com

"news.btconnect.com" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

[snip]

They're not a viable long term ownership proposition; spares, anybody?

Hondas are.

Reply to
DervMan

Yes they are, just as much as any other out-of-production cars. The parts are still in production, made by the same people largely that made them for MG-R. MG-R never made their own parts, apart from engines/gearboxes, and the spare parts have been manufactured by third parties for decades. Honda are just as dependant on third parties for spare parts as Rover or any other 'global' manufacturer.

How long ago did they stop building the Porshe type that James Dean died in? And you can still get parts for them. And the real Mini. And the Ford Escort. My Dad has a Triumph Mayflower, and can still get new parts for it.

Reply to
news.btconnect.com

I have had all the same faults with my W Reg 2.0 CDT (and I've even had rusted brake pipes replaced) and the usual problems with underseat connector for the air bag warning light This year is the first time it has passed MOT without expensive repairs which were genuine. However the bonnet switch recently came adrift and its cable managed to wrap itself around the fan and I now need to get a replacement fan & motor which I am told will cost £350 plus fitting - Is this reasonable ? The ambient air temp gauge is now reading -30 - If I'm lucky I'll get away with a replacement sensor

As the Major said ... One step forward and two back ...

On the bright side ..... By the time I can afford a Honda Accord the second generation diesel will be cheap enough

Reply to
JB