Rover 827 mystery rainwater ingress

I have a 1995 Rover 827 Fastback, which has until recently been perfectly dry and free from rainwater leaking into it. However in the wet weather since Christmas it is now letting rainwater from somewhere but quite where from is a mystery!

The car usually collects water when standing on a slightly inclined driveway, which means that the water collects in a pool in the rear offside passenger footwell. If parked the other way the water will of course flow to the drivers footwell. There are no signs of leaks around the sunroof (with seems totally dry inside) nor around the doors. The water just appears to collect from nowhere on the floor! The ingress of rainwater is quite severe as after one night of rain around one and a half pints of water can collect in the footwell.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where the water can be entering the car from, or is there a grommet missing somewhere that will allow this amount of water to get in? I had wondered about water getting into the luggage area via the hatchback, but as the car is parked on a slight slope with the rear at a lower level I can't see how the water would be able to move forward to the rear passenger seat footwell. The water ONLY affects the drivers side of the car, the passenger side being completely dry.

There must a be simple answer to this problem, has anyone else had a similar experience with a Rover 800, and how did you cure it?

Michael Timms

Reply to
Michael Timms

Try unblocking all the rain gulley holes in front of the windscreen. They could be blocked and the water is finding it's way into the car.

Clink

Reply to
Clink

Hi,

A few Rovers (inc. Coupe) have problems with the rear windscreen seals. They're notoriousy leaky. Usually you get water in the spare wheel well, but depending on the position of the leak, and the incline of the slope, it's possible the water could run towards the front of the car.

We had this problem on a Coupe (actually, the one advertised below), and Rover solved it by adding extra retaining clips to the lower edge of the rear screen. Although they didn't admit it was a regular fault, they did seem to have a solution already thought-up. Draw your own conclusions from that!

Check your spare wheel well, then stick your car so the back's down the slope, and spray the whole of the tailgate/rear screen with a hose.

If it's not the rear screen, then you can eliminate possibilities with careful use of hosepipe. Don't forget your wellies though.

Good luck!

Reply to
Glynn Timmins

(Not perfect in english)

I had the same problem with my Renault Laguna and probably it's the same thing with you. The water comes from under the door. Raindrop goes all from the roof of the car to bottom and there it finds it's way into the car. I'd check rubbers on the doors. (lower side)

Reply to
Hrvoje Goraj¹èan