Rover Coupe Query

I'm looking to purchase a Rover Coupe (ideally 1.8 VVC) on a late a plate as possible and I was wondering if anybody had any pointers they could give me so I don't buy a duffer?

Cheers

Adrian

Reply to
Ady

As Chris says, the headgasket is the big one though there are a number of niggles to look for before you buy.

Take the roof panels out and make sure the wind deflector at the front of the resulting hole springs up. If it doesn't, you find open motoring very windy indeed. The coiled wire which Rover laughably call a spring fails on many cars and it's a nasty job to replace. Check all the local seals, they don't usually leak but when they do, a lot of water gets in.

Front brakes. Make sure the disks are in good nick because they do wear. Pads likewise.

Rear screen. Make sure the grommet where the rear wiper comes through the glass is intact. Some cars had it badly fitted.

Rear spoiler (where appropriate). Sometimes, the paint on the trailing edge of the spoiler bubbles.

The seats. Especially the drivers seat. Check the thigh cushion on the door side. It takes quite a battering. More so if the car is lowered as it's quite a difficult car to get in and out of.

There's bound to be more. I'll post them up when I remember them! :)

Paul

Reply to
Paul Eden