rover214 sli engine start problem

I need some help I have a rover 214sli 16 valve h reg. The engine starts cold runs nice. If I then stop the engine I have to wait fifteen minutes before the engine will start again.It will start on the first crank. The only thing I have done in the last week is put red x in the tank Could this be connected.

Another strange problem I have when the car car makes moo ing sounds all the time. Pretty loud enough to annoy the neighbours. Any thoughts on what this can be.

The email I have provided is useless to cut down on crap mail. Please advise by post ing a reply on this group and I will look out for it.

Thanks

Tommo

Reply to
vwp thomas

Try replacing the fuel filler cap.

You should be able to confirm the problem by running the car, remove and replace the cap, at see if will start again, without the 15 minute wait.

Chilly

Reply to
chillypenguin

Apparently the crank sensor (mounted on back of flywheel housing) is known to cause problems on the K-series - especially when warm...

Remove the alternator belt and see if it still happens. If so, remove the timing belt and check for rough bearings on the tensioner or water pump.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

I've heard of this. Check the breather valve in your petrol cap. Apparently it gets blocked, the mooing sound is air being dragged in past the cap seals making the pipes vibrate.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard