screen misting

Hi, Don't know if this is a Rover specific prob, but this seems like a good place to start...

Got an N Reg rover 416, and the inside of windscreen mists up (starting around this time of year) really badly. wiping with a variety of cloths that you would think would help just seems to smear it around - I've tried chamois (real and synthetic) freshly laundered cotten (no fab con) and kitchen roll - none seem to work. The only thing that does is a rubber squeegee, but that's not so easy to use when you are moving :-(

It's definately water mist as it does clear once the (fairly pathetic) blower gets up to temperature.

I wonder if the screen has previously been treated with something? I've tried various cleaners, but doesn't seem to make any difference.

Never had this kind of problem with any other car (and I've had several)

Does anyone know a magic cure?

Cheers, Bramblestick

Reply to
Bramble-Stick

Bramblestick,

I once had this problem on a 416 and the cause was simply the fact that I had the heater air switch set to recirculating (that is the air inside the car as if it was fitted with air-con [1]) instead of 'pulling' in fresh air from outide - setting it correctly sorted the problem in two minutes but took me three months to find the cure :-)

[1] - The car itself was not fitted with air conditioning but had all the controls fitted as if it did.

Might be worth a look

Reply to
Brian G

This suggest water ingress to me.

Check door/window seals etc.

John Towers

Yep, usually means you have a leak somewhere. Check the boot, it gets in at the rear light seals.

Reply to
gazzafield

Agreed.

If they are all ok, try searching in the boot and/or under your mats.

Reply to
Brian Watson

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 23:20:27 GMT, "Bramble-Stick" wrote this with the utmost thought:

If Brian G's answer about the internal air circulation isn't the problem then you may have a small water leak on the heater matrix. The heater is quite good, I have same car, and it gets very hot when it's needed. Having the air circulation switched to internal soon mists the car up *but* as long as you don't exhale, that won't be much of a problem :)

Reply to
losttheplot

It's not a cure for the cause (which as many have said sounds like damp somewhere) but you could try a potato.

Cut a potato in half and wipe your windscreen over with the cut surface. Once you've done that give it a good polish with a soft cloth. The starch in the potato will stop the glass misting up.

Andy J.

Reply to
Andy J.

Thanks for that, (and to the previous replies). I'm trying to sort out the cause, chances are that it is because I've not dried my hair after showering :-) but the immediate problem is how to clear the mist - as I say, it doesn't seem to be absorbed by cloths etc. I'll try the potato - I've seen that tip before, now I think about it. Cheers, Bramble-stick

Reply to
Bramble-Stick

There are also proprietary anti-mist products you can try. Rain-X make one. You can get it at Halfords.

Steve Childs' Love Child

True, true, but you have to admit a spud is a lot cheaper than the £5 or so that a bottle of Rain-X will cost you..........and you could even recycle the potato into chips afterwards...... :-)

Andy J.

Reply to
Andy J.