Strange clutch problem

Driving home today in my H reg 214Si I noticed a strange clutch problem that definitely wasn't there yesterday.

I was driving up a hill, not particularly steep but quite long, and when I changed into 3rd the engine revs increased up to nearly 6000rpm but the car didn't speed up, plus there was that awful clutch smell. The same happened when I changed to 4th and 5th. For the rest of the journey home the engine would race everytime I got into 3rd and higher. When I got to my street (after a long run in 5th) I changed down to turn into my street and there was quite a loud clunk from the clutch pedal.

When I'd parked I remembered reading on here about how you can check if the clutch is going by putting the car in 5th gear, with the handbrake on then revving the engine and releasing the clutch. Anyway I did this and the car stalled.

So does it sound like the clutch is/has gone or could it be a problem with the cable and self-adjustment mechanism?

I haven't been out in the car since because if the clutch has gone I'd rather get it sorted first.

Thanks.

Reply to
Comfortably Numb

Not strange at all - your clutch is worn out, and needs replacing. It's worth replacing the cable first though - it may be just that it's stretched.

Reply to
Nom

Thanks for the reply, I took the car in for a new clutch today. Cost more than the bloody thing is worth though!!

Reply to
Comfortably Numb

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay? My clutch is on the way out and just wondering how much it's going to cost me.

Reply to
Michael Cotton

It cost me £140, and that was at a friends garage too!

Reply to
Comfortably Numb