Update: 218SD with fuel leak ..

Hi All,

A while back I mentioned here that I had a persistant diesel leak on the 93 218SD.

After stopping there would be about a desert spoon full on the road under the front of the engine, possibly directly under the injector pump.

I was told by an RAC guy I happened to park next to that the pump seal can fail on these engines and allow fuel past the seal and into the cambelt cover. A replacement pump would be about £600 and a recon £300. I didn't get as far as trying the breakers.

I managed to get it into my mates garage today and firstly gave everything in the area of the fuel pump a good dry off and first checked the small 'leak off' hoses (thanks Al) but these seemed in good nick and not particularly wet. Once dry I started it up and immediatly noticed fuel leaking from the top of the solenoid the cuts pressure from the pump (is it?).

A quick trip to the local Car Spares place and £12 +Vat later we were back up and running and (hopefully) leak free?

So, she "lives" to see another few (economical) miles ... ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m