What engine type

The car is - Rover100 Ascot SE R registration with fuel injection

The illustration in the "100 series Owner's handbook" of the engine compartment seems to be correct but does not identify the engine type

Haynes (published 2000) suggests either K8 (wet liner type)" or K8 Spi. My car does not have "5 air cleaner assembly", "13 intake air temperature control valve" or "14 cold air intake duct" - at least as per the illustration of the underbonnet.

Can anyone please help me to identify the type of engine in my car?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Reply to
Bill Ridgeway

It will almost certainly be the K8 spi version (K-series, single cam with single point injection)

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Darren,

I thought (as I said in my email) that was a possibility but with those parts listed missing it isn't the same as illustrated in Haynes.

Would an engine number be useful to positively ID? I've looked for this in the place indicated in the Owner's Handbook but can't find it. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Reply to
Bill Ridgeway

"> I thought (as I said in my email) that was a possibility but with those

If you don't have air cleaner assembly which sits directly on top of the carb/spi unit, then you've probably got an mpi (multi-point injection) engine. These are more efficient that the spi systems and have one injector per cylinder, with the air cleaner being sited remotely from the intake manifold and plenum chamber (usually next to the battery).

On the original 200/400 range back in the early nineties, the single cam K engine had a carburettor, and the twin-cam Ks had single-point injection. Towards the mid nineties the single-point system was replaced with the multi-point system, so it could be that the same is fitted to your engine.

Darren

P.S.

Don't be surprised if the Haynes manual makes some (serious) omissions; they used to proudly state "every manual based on a complete stripdown and rebuild", but it's obvious that they don't do that any more and they often 'recycle' information from a previous manual covering older versions of the same car (like my 800 series manual, most of which is based on an original D-reg 800, even though it says it covers up to N-reg, which is very different in many way!)

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

The wife had one of these. The Ascot's where the last of the 100 series, and had a 1.1 K series Single cam Multi point injection. I doubt that Haynes ever did a manual for them. In most other respect the last 100 series manual should cover this car.

But once you get to the fuel injection, then it will go off track a little.

The multi point injection cars gave a little more BHP about 5% (which helps sell cars) In my opinion (1.4K16 400's), I preferred the SPI, as I found that the MPI lost some of its torque low down.

Chilly

Reply to
chillypenguin

Best bet would be to get a manual for the original shape 200/400 series - this cover SP and MP injection systems, and the K8 and K16 engines. As for the SPi having more low-end torque, that does surprise me, but should make it a slightly better towcar than the newer ones maybe?

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

I am not sure that I would put towcar and 1.4K16 in the same sentence. Unless you are talking small trailer, not 24" caravan !!!

The additional torque is due to air velocity's through the intake manifold, with single point injection there is only one intake track so the air velocity through the track at lower engine speed is higher, which has a momentum effect pushing the air in. But this is less efficient at higher RPM. Where as with multi point injection, there are four intake tracks, which is more efficient at higher RPM.

Chilly

Reply to
chillypenguin

Thanks for all your replies.

The suggestions are that the engine could be a K8SPi but my engine doesn't have an air cleaner assembly which sits directly on top of the carb/spi unit which leads Darren Jarvis to suggest that it is an mpi (multi-point injection) injection. Referring to Haynes (and I take Darren's point "Don't be surprised if the Haynes manual makes some (serious) omissions") there is only a *K16* mpi engine which, taken at face value, doesn't tally.

Sorry to labour the point further but I was wondering if an engine number would tie down what the heck I have. The problem here is that I cannot find one (at least from the pic in Haynes. Any ideas please?

Many thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Reply to
Bill Ridgeway

You have a rare 1.1 K8 MPi these where only used in 100 series for a very short time. Most would be badge as "Ascot".

I am sure there would have been a 200 using this engine.

Chilly

Reply to
chillypenguin

You may laugh, but my 1993 414SLi (MPi) did an admirable job of towing a

950Kg 12' caravan through Wales, Lancashire and the peak district (and there were some serious hills to contend with!) Okay, I had to change gear a lot and it needed some revs, but it did it, no matter what speed I had to drop down to.

Which is better suited for towing anyway, though less well suited to 16V heads which only really become useful at higher revs.

Exactly my experience - would be nice to be able to compare an SPi and MPi

414 with the same caravan, but I no longer have it. :-(

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis