Wheel nuts and jacks

Hi,

My brother's 820 Vitesse really got him stuck last week. When changing a wheel, one of the wheel nuts rounded off and then the threaded bar in the jack stripped. Does anyone know if other Rover models use the same wheel nuts and jack? Rover want 8quid for one wheel nut.

Thanks, Aaron.

Reply to
Aaron Anderson

Just pop along to a breakers yard and pop one in your pocket, no shortage of them there!

HTH

Reply to
Michael Cotton

Speaking of wheel nut on vitesses,

What size are they ment to be????

19mm slips round, 18mm is too small

i have one of those cross braces with 4 different sizes on and niether is right.

Reply to
vertuas

From memory, the little silver covers appear to be 19mm, which the standard wheel brace fits, with the actual nut underneath being 18mm. His problem was caused by the cover spinning on the nut and rounding it off.

As for the breakers having plenty, we haven't found anyone here in N. Ireland that had an 820 of any form.

Regards, Aaron.

Reply to
Aaron Anderson

the nut size is 19mm, however i wouldnt trust a 4 way wheel brace to be anywhere near an exact measurement,. they are made from cast, and have a tendancy of rounding tight nuts. get a good socket and a long wrench. these nuts are covered in a weak stainless steel cover which is fine if the correct 6 sided well fitted socket is used,

Reply to
steve

That surprises me. No shortage of them at breakers here in the south of England. Last time I went to my local one they had at least four, and they're not a very large yard by any means. Maybe 820's aren't so popular in N.I.?

Reply to
Michael Cotton

Are you near Downpatrick?

I remember a great dismantlers called C Russell on the Drumcullan Road.

Sorry I can't give great directions, I just know how to get there. You go out of D'Patrick on the road that runs by the railway museum and there's a fork off to the right. It's a long and winding road (sorry!) but the place is off to the left, up a very steep hill that you have to do a 180 on. There's another route from Ballynahinch but that's even more difficult to explain.

The number is 4461 2721 if you want to call ahead and get directions. I always saw a good range of vehicles there, no more than about 4 years old. There's a huge shed/warehouse with all kinds of parts.

There's also Bangor Car Dismantlers on Balloo Road coming out of Bangor towards Newtownards. It's off to the left of the last roundabout before the main carriageway to Newtownards and then it's only about a hundred yards or so on the right hand side. They always had a good selection of cars.

Their numbers are 9146 7154 and 9127 4474.

HTH

Keith

Reply to
Cotku

Nearer Newtonards than Downpatrick. Thanks for the numbers, our father was ringing around for him and nobody had any - I'll check if he tried those places.

Aaron.

Reply to
Aaron Anderson

There's another place between Castlereagh and Ballygowan (closer to Castlereagh, though) called ABC Car Dismantlers off the Ballygowan Road.

9040 3314. The site isn't that big but it's worth a try. From junction of Castlereagh Road / Knock Carriageway / Ballygowan Road, go about a mile up the Ballygowan Road towards Roselawn.

At the major new junction (looks like a demented roundabout), go left up a narrow road (Upper Braniel Road) About 150-200 yards up, on the right, there's a sign, and a dirt road. Ricky tends to have the bigger cars, so, there may be an 820 there or something similar that will also fit.

Daft question, I see there's a Rover dismantler in Newtownards on Short Street, "Ards Rover Centre". 9181 3337 / Mobile 077 7471 2397 - you tried there?

I remember another place between Holywood and Newtownards but I cannot (for the life of me) remember the name or the road it's on. I cannot find it in the phone book either! A friend drove me there once for Rover parts and they had a good selection. I think they were connected to a farm nearby. I'll try to remember to ask him when I see him on Monday.

Anyway, hope some of this helps. I don't see many folks from NI in my newsgroups so it's always nice to help when I can.

Cheers,

Keith

Reply to
Cotku

Just round the corner from my brother's - he lives near the sub-station on B'gowan road. No luck there unfortunately.

They didn't have any either.

If you could get this number it would be great - he decided to buy an extra set of locking wheel nuts as it worked out easier and cheaper, but is still looking for a proper jack.

Thanks, Aaron.

Reply to
Aaron Anderson
[snipped]

Sorry Aaron!

I spoke to David about that other scrapyard. It was on the Rathgael Road but the guy sold up and moved on and it's become a new housing development now.

The last place that I can think of is

Glengormley Car Dismantlers 9083 2509

I know it's a bit further afield but they're very well stocked.

Failing that, I am stumped.

The thing is, try the numbers I posted again in two weeks time.

The places I mentioned would be continually moving their stock around so there are always new vehicles coming in and there's bound to be an 820 jack at some point.

I've had another idea but if you don't hear from me, it didn't work out. I'll talk to another friend about what he knows.

Keith

Reply to
Cotku

Hi,

Believe it or not, I work round the corner from Glemgormley Car Dismantlers, and they couldn't help either! Thanks for all the suggestions anyway, but he's now considering just getting a scissor-jack from a motorfactors.

Aaron.

Reply to
Aaron Anderson

Dismantlers,

Probably the best bet...

That other idea didn't go anywhere. I asked a friend if he or his brother knew of anyone that dismantled Rovers.

I haven't heard back...

Keith

Reply to
Cotku