Wheel size on 216GSI 93

Hi,

Does anyone know what the biggest wheel size you can fit ?

cheers

Reply to
EMG Goodsin

The biggest? Unless you fit bigger brakes behind it, it'll look like a Rover on silly big wheels . . . actually even then it may well look like a Rover with silly big wheels and brakes!

Increase the wheels one or two inches, with suitable tyres, almost always gets the best compromise between looks and driving it.

Reply to
DervMan

As big as you like, providing you keep the total radius (wheel + tyre) the same. The bigger your alloy, the thinner your tyre must be.

What size tyres have you got on the car right now ? 185/65 R14 ?

Reply to
Nom

Reply to
chrismm

Nah, different chassis, well tweaked chassis at least. I think they take 45 profile tyres on the ZR on 17s, whereas on 200 mk.2 and mk.3s you would need a 205/40R17 tyre. And nowt wrong with big wheels on Rovers, hence why I'm saving up for 19s for my 400 ;) Although the stupid price of tyres in 19" may mean I go for 18s

Reply to
Andy Connolly

Reply to
chrismm

Doesn't matter, they'll still fit. Anyone that asks the questions "what the biggest wheel size you can fit" isn't concerned with ride or handling :)

Agreed.

Except that the bigger the rims, the worse your ride and handling, and the more strain you put on the drive-train/suspension.

Reply to
Nom

And 18/19" rims on a 93 200, to be honest, would look pants.

Reply to
Scott M

It would look a bit, er, rollerskate-like :)

Reply to
Nom

but thats ok, cos they're going on a 97 400 ;)

Reply to
Andy Connolly

Hah! Missed the change of thread direction. :-)

Reply to
Scott M

Bigest size that works well on Rover 200s is 185/55x15" or at a pinch

195/50x15 just fit the rims from a 214/216Sei. The suspension design on the these cars isn't well suited to anything bigger, the ride becomes really bad and the steering suffers from badly tramlining. Personally I would stick with 185/60x14 as they are much less like to get rim damaged from kerbing and the ride is better.
Reply to
AWM