Which tyres for a Rover 420?

My current tyres (already on the car when I bought it) are Pirelli P6000s on the back, but Stunner SV198s on the front (which I've never heard of before). The front tyres are bloody awful in the wet so I'm looking for something better. The fronts are due to be replaced in the next couple of months anyway.

The car is a UK Rover 420 SLi, '98 model. Tyres are 195/55/15V.

Any recommendations?

Cheers, Shaun.

Reply to
Code Developer

In message , Code Developer writes

I personally would go for a set of P6000s on the fronts too, they are a very good tyre and also then you'll have a matching set. The 420 is quite a punchy engine for a front wheel drive so I wouldn't get a budget tyre, especially with winter weather coming up. If you want the best performing tyre in the wet, then I have had loads of positive experiences with the Pirelli PZero. Plus they look cool too! Hope this helps, Al

-- P.S.... No I don't work for Pirelli...! (I don't work for Rover anymore either thank God.)

Reply to
Al

Too true. I intend to get something with good grip. The Stunners are really annoying when it's wet, or the road is greasy. Even slightly too much throttle from a standing start and the wheels just spin, even though the tyres have around 3 - 4mm of tread left.

Hmm, haven't looked at PZeros but I will now. Are they good in snow too?

Why didn't you like working for Rover?? (Just curious!)

Cheers, Shaun.

Reply to
Code Developer

In message , Code Developer writes

The PZero Assimetrico is great in the wet, fantastic in fact, to be honest I haven't tried them in the snow, (I have a 4x4 with big mud tyres on for that!!) but they do a range of tyres called snowcontrol which, surprisingly enough are snow biased tyres.... Check out this link for pics of the PZeros and other tyres --------->>

?catid=UK_UHP&productid=2064

I actually loved working for Rover, I was workshop foreman for a number of years at a dealership which was fantastic but Rover Group's people skills at the time seemed to be severely lacking and the quality took a nose dive when rumours went around that BMW weren't happy, after BMW pulled out the dealership went under which was a bugger. I tried another Rover dealership for a while but it just wasn't the same. I'm restoring classic cars now, bit of a change, but I still like to keep my eye on how MG Rover are doing!

Blimey, you didn't ask for my life story did you, sorry!

Al

Reply to
Al

I was just about to ask a similar question ! I'm currently using a 600sldi for work, and need 4 new tyres, currently using 185/65/15 Michelins, which from first fitting ruined the refinement of the car, so I'm looking for something quieter but have been quoted £75+ per tyre for the new Dunlop SP1's. The problem seems to be that this size is a less common size, anybody experience of changing to a "cheaper" size, as this is about the same price as I paid for top grade tyres recently on a Landrover discovery, which must contain twice the rubber !

Reply to
apk1

Sounds like a good change to me.

Reply to
Code Developer

looking on

, you can get Dunlop 'SP sport 01' tyres for £48.90, or Goodyear Eagle venturas for £52.30 in the size you require. Alternatively, going to 195/60/15 (~same rolling radius), you can get pirelli P6000's for £52.30

The prices include VAT and delivery (only to mailand UK, IIRC) and you can get them fitted locally for a couple of £ per corner.

Sizes with approx the same rolling radius are:

190/65/15 (+1%) 195/60/15 (-1%) 205/60/15 (+0.9%) 215/55/15 (-0.6%)

HTH,

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby