'01 9-5 wagon with worsening ACC problems

Hi, wondered if I could get opinions on the following:

2001 9-5 Aero wagon. Last fall, starting emitting occasional soft thumps from under the dashboard. The sound and vibration makes you think of a small air vent door that is quickly slammed shut. These audible emissions seemed to be somewhat random - I could not correlate them with any particular ACC setting.

Since the HVAC seemed to work regardless of the occasional thumps, I continued using the system and waited.

Now, the thumping seems to have gone away, but the ACC control unit operation is erratic: when you press AUTO, sometimes "AUTO" will show in the display, sometimes not. Also, when in "AUTO" mode, the display used to also show the fan speed and other settings. Now it just shows "AUTO" or nothing at all. I do get heat out of the system though.

Recently, during a long, quiet drive, I noticed the sound of the air leaving one of the dashboard vents slowly oscillating (cycling about once every 5 seconds.) I held my hand over the vent and discovered that it blew cool air for about 3 secs, then blew warm air, then cool, warm, etc.

I just found out about the AUTO-OFF pushbutton calibration/error code display trick, which I will try ASAP, but I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on this.

Thanks.

Reply to
Mr. Land