1984 900 Saloon vs C900 Hatch? Which is better..

Just picked up a cheapo 84 T16 Saloon at first just for the recon gearbox it has. Then I thought about the possibility of an engine/box swap, to turn my 89 900S into a T16, because the donor is a good runner and will also have all the APC bits to do the job right.

Now, the car looks like it might be better than thought. How do the older saloons compare with the newer Hatchbacks for handling and reliability? This one's done 160K. Obviously not as practical with no hatch, but it has 4 doors which is. Does the extra two doors affect the handling adversley or is it just as good as the hatch?

Oh, yes. I know the 84 Saloon is a flat nose, and it's a bit "uglier". I reckon though, with a bit of TLC and a set of decent wheels it'll look OK. Bit of a rarity aren't they?

Thanks for any help

Cheers Mike

Reply to
Mike P

The saloon body is actually quite a bit stiffer than the hatch, so handles better. I just really, *really* hate the way they look.

Bah! Flat noses rule!

Some people like the sallons a lot. I think they're very ugly. They're also comparatively impractical. But they do handle well. In all other respects they are the same car.

Reply to
Grunff

Nice to know the handling's good. They are a strange looking beast though :-)

I agree, they look great. It's just the rear end that's bloody awful isn't it?

If I kept it as is, it would be a second car anyway, more of a project so impracticality is no problem. The ugliness/weirdness isn't an issue to me at all. In fact, with the badges removed it'd fool a few of the boy-racers around here :-)

Thanks for the info Grunff, much appreciated.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Ah, well, if that's your aim then I suspect the saloon will be better than the hatch anyway - they look so harmless.

Anytime.

Reply to
Grunff

Well, not really an aim. I (sort of) grew out of that..It's always nice to know you *can* surprise them though isn't it? Just once in a while... :-)

I do like "odd" cars - had 2CVs, old RWD Skodas, Saabs, Citroen GSA. Saab is the most fun though. It's got uniquess and class all in one :-)

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

Hatches well they have a nice profile (the 3-door) but have you driven behind one recently? They just look gawky and dated to me thesedays... Saloons however have an understated and quite sporty look in 2-door form - almost attractive!

And cabs, well they're nice with the hood down but otherwise....

Reply to
Chris

Me too!

Yup, had an X reg GSA. Mad thing that was.

Reply to
Grunff

Bugger, so you don't want mine then ;)

Body is stiffer, the 2 door is stiffer than the 3 door, and the 4 door is stiffer than the 5 door.

2 door T8's are pretty rare, 2 door T16's are very rare, and very sought after, if you can sort it, do it. Might even make some money on it if you decide you need a 3 door after all.

Nowt wrong with a flat nose. Has character. If you can find the bumper, lights, indicators, and grille, and washer motors/arms you can swap on later front end, just need to splice in the indicator wiring and the rest just bolts on.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Probably not :-( For £69 this one was too good to miss. I went and picked it up just now, 60 miles away. Luckily it still as T&T for another couple of days, so I drove it back. In the last 12 months it's had.....

A recon gearbox at a cost of £600 A recon turbo £350

2 new calipers on the front end, with pads and discs. New radiator 2 new tyres 13 (yes 13!) miles ago.

It's the pale interior, and the headlining is still up!! It's needs a damn good clean though. Paintwork is generally tidy with a rust spot in the usual place on the wing, other than that it's spot on. It drove well, better and as you say, more solid than the 3 door hatch. It boosts all the way up to the red/orange line and pulls well - well, it kept pace with my mate's mint

1991 T16 up the M40 at *ahem* mph :-)

It's got a few problems - loose exhaust is one, and the other main one I will detail in a fresh post, because I reckon it's going to be the stuff of nightmares to sort out - heater vac hose in the dash!!

I prefer the flat nose TBH. I've just parked it up outside next to the 89

900S and it looks "better" < In what way I do not know :-), it just does!

I'll take it for an MOT, get the alloys refurbed, give it a good clean and T-cut and see how we go from there.

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated as usual!!

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

Brother still has 2, along with the T16. One of them's a van..

Yes. Weird in the extreme. Mine rusted away, so we got hold of an Ami super, disposed of the body, engine and box, dropped the GSA bits in and stuck a 2CV body on the top. Now that did surprise a few people.. :-)

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

in article snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Mike P at snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote on 26/07/2004 22:39:

I'd like my next car to be a Skoda 130 :) ... Or a Citroen DS :))))

In terms of SAAB, I've always loved the flat nose ... It rules ... "period"! I've always liked the sedan shape, but the 2 door is the one for me. That said, I drive a 3 door Aero. If I get another SAAB, it will be a 2 door flat nose injection, or carb'ed model.

I've kind of lost track of where you were going with your thread, but SAABs make for unique cars ... Unique SAABs make for interesting cars. It'd be a shame to lose the flat nose, or the sedan shape for improving a 3 door post face-lift shape.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Oh my god, pretty much what I've either done, or fancy doing if I keep=20 mine. =20

Seem if you can find a gentle steam cleaner, rather than a full on=20 industrial one. Should sort the headlining out without trashing the=20 backing, and will clean the seats and carpets too. =20

Don't know if you've looked at the exhaust yet, but one hook on the tail=20 pipe behind the bumper, two on the rear box on the otherside of the=20 axle, two on the middle box, and it should bolt to the transmission=20 case, and the turbo flange. If it is anything like mine, one of the rear=20 box hangers get unhooked over speed bump, and it hits the axle on idle=20 especially when loaded with shopping. Never have managed to sort it,=20 just have to hook it back on.

I see you got the heater description sorted.

Yep, that is what I thought too. the facelift ones are very nice,=20 especially as Carlssons, but the flat noses look right.=20

If the front calipers have been sorted, then that is your most likely=20 fail out of the way (the handbrake). check the pads, if they are=20 anything less than 50% swap them before the MOT, and reset the=20 handbrake. German and Swedish have pagid pads for about =A38 for the front= =20 set, and the handbrake always works better when setup with fresh pads.

--=20 The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

MeatballTurbo

=20 I fancy another Skoda, mad porsche like tail happy ahndling, 90mph+ on=20 the motorway, fair space and comfort, and 45MPG.

Oh and I know where I can get one with 6 months ticket for arround =A3100,= =20 and has been owned and daily driven by an enthusiast, inlcuding a=20 replacement head when it cracked as they sometimes do.

Very tempted, even though an Alfa, a Honda prelude, or a 9k Aero were my=20 target fuel economy improvement cars. if I could get 45mpg out of a C900, it wouldn't be going anywhere.

--=20 The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Yeah, I've noticed just walking upto it, which is a shame. because from the side, especially the squarenosed ones, have a very nice almost sharklike profile.

But I gave new shaped Scoob WRX a bit of a shock today, when he flew up behind me, so I floored it, in fourth at 60, boom gone, bye bye.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo