1986 900 warm start running rich...

I've got an '86 900, 2.0 liter naturally aspirated. When I have a warm start situation (car sitting for a short time, hasn't cooled down fully), it runs very rich when I first start out.

What I'm thinking, is that the cold start injector is opening, as if the car was actually cold, and that there's probably a temperature sensor which is giving the system bad information. Does this make sense? If so, where is that sensor? (This car has CIS injection).

Thanks, Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 02/05/2006 19:17:

The "thermo-time switch"? It's either between cylinders 2&3 in the head, or in the block under the distributor. That instructs the cold start injector to run for a short which during warm up, as well as other parts of the CIS system.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 02/05/2006 19:17:

I have a year 2000 Bosch K-Jet manual if you're interested (in PDF). I'll drop it in your inbox if so :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Ah, ok, I know the switch and have more. I'll take a look for corrosion or loose contacts first, and if that's happy, I'll pull out the meter and look at the switch. Thanks, Paul.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I've got a Bosch CIS manual available for downloading from the tech library page on my site at "

". Could well bethe same document you have as the one I've got is PDF as well. But yes the thermo-time switch is the device which controls when the cold-start injector receives power. The t/t switch is actually a double-purpose device since it has a heating element that slowly heats the body of the device at a pre-set rate after 12 volts is first applied to it, plus it absorbs heat from the engine so when the engine is above a certain temp it won't allow the cold-start injector to operate on cranking/starting.

The Bosch t/t switch that Saab used with 8V engines in c900's is the one ending in -217. You can't really use a different one since they're made with quite widely varying settings for cut-off temp and heat-up time, but if you're lucky to find one that's close it'd be ok. I don't know if they all have the same thread size/pitch - maybe the one for the Saab engines isn't interchangable at all.

There are checks to make sure the thermo-time switch and cold-start injector are working properly and they're simple to do with a multi-meter, etc. The bentley manual covers this well on pages 240-10 and 240-11. It's helped me diagnose the fault with the t/t switch on the engine in the turbo car I'm fixing - it's heater resistance was varying massively with any vibration or just a touch of my fingers on the wire harness and it was probably a dud internal electrical connection to the bi-metal strip.

Good luck solving the problem.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

in article e38v5c$ojj$ snipped-for-privacy@yoda.apana.org.au, Craig's Saab C900 Site at snipped-for-privacy@lios.apana.org.au wrote on 03/05/2006 01:57:

Sorry mate, your site is a little slow. I gave up after a few minutes :)

I have an older one (from around 1974) with a black & white picture as the front page. That file is around 5 Mb. I also have a newer manual from 2000 with a colour picture as the front cover, weighing in at around 1.5 Mb.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Only got 128 k ISDN here. 8-)