1994 9000 CST Battery Size

Two places list the relevant battery as a group 41 size, only group 41's are roughly 2" too long for (at least, my) battery holder, and cannot be installed.

OTOH, what's in my car now, a group 47, said to be too weak for it... What do YOU have, and know about it...

Reply to
Valjean

Check Interstate battery. it is the oem.

Reply to
yaofeng

It's dark now so I won't pop out to look.

Here in the jolly UK, Neo Brothers stock a genuine Saab battery which is 70Ah.( that's what the pic says anyway ) at a reasonable £45. Same in the NG900 and 9-3 btw.

Saab part number 400 129 987.

German and Swedish offer a choice of a 62Ah Bosch or 'generic' 72Ah.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

That's one of those where the 41 size is too long for mine...

Reply to
Valjean

Reply to
Valjean

Don't know how it is too long. It is a perfect fit on my 94 cde. Are you in the US?

Reply to
yaofeng

No idea if the USA numbers for batteries are the same as European but I found the following info that says you need a type 027 battery.

The size is 242x175x190 mm

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Pooh Bear wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

When I had the battery replaced on my 1995 9000CS, Advance Auto where I had it done (US) got the interstate size that the book told them it took. After much cussing and attempts to get it in, he measure the space and went back and got a different one that did fit. Also an Interstate.

Reply to
Laura K

"yaofeng" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Different motor, probably. CDs are usually 6 cylinder, CS 4 cylinder.

Reply to
Laura K

Ummm no.

CDs have the classic Saab 4 cyl engine just like the CS. The V6 came along about half way through the history of the 9000 model line and was available in both CS and CD models.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

If the spec charts don't work out for you, then why not just measure the battery tray & get the highest AH and most plates that will fit in that space, as long as the terminals are on the right ends! Laura - couldn't you make the bigger one fit with a hammer ...? Sorry - couldn't resist! Cheers

Reply to
hippo

And more commonly in Griffin models. All auto and either 2.3 turbo, or V6, in the CD shell. Normal CDs had the usual compliment of manual/auto, and 4pot/4pot turbo/V6 versions.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

"hippo" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

I wasn't doing it! Advance Auto Parts (U.S. store) installs them for free. I just opened the hood and let them have at it.

Reply to
Laura K

The above site finally listed the proper size--it's a Group 48. Got one, and it fit the tray perfectly.

Are you sure the Interstate size you have is a Group 41, called an MT-41 in the Interstate catalogue? That's the one that wouldn't fit mine.

Reply to
Valjean

Not always. One of my three SAAB 9k's is a 94 CDE. And it uses an Interstate 41R.

Reply to
yaofeng

Also meant to say my 94 cde is a 2.3L. I will not touch a 6 cylinder

9k.
Reply to
yaofeng

Curious. I wonder why US batteries are called different sizes to European ( worldwide ? ) ones.

The brand Names are good for a laugh.

I especially liked DieHard !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Europe is not worldwide.

Reply to
yaofeng

That's why I put it in brackets with a question mark. In various areas though the same specs that are in use for Europe are also the 'rotw' specs ( excepting the USA ).

It simply puzzles me why a different part numbering scheme should be in use for what is probably the same item.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

There is conflicting info as to what fits from different Battery manufacturers. I do not know why.

I suggest a group 34. I ran into that problem where the G41 does not fit and that is called for from most. The problem is not just the physical size, but how the base of the battery is constructed. The 9k uses a hold down that wedges in the holder and against the base of the batery, but this feature must be there for it to work or the battery flops around in spirited or emergency maneuvers. A 41 does not work (period) It is too long and the hold down is not correct. I do not know about a 48, but do know that a 34 is a) what was in my '97 CS from Saab (I can show you a picture showing the size clearly marked as a 34R and a nice Saab logo on it) and b)that an Optima (and other G34s from Interstate and Johnson) fit beautifully. A G34 is a bit taller and shorter than a G41, but clears the insulation on the hood (taller) and if the hold down is properly engaged will hold it properly. I have seen a number of 9ks with aftermarket batteries in which the hold down was either missing or not properly engaged.

If there is interest, I can post it to a web page.

KeithG

Valjean wrote:

Reply to
KeithG