1994 Saab AERO 9000- Should I replace timing chain while replacing the head gasket?

I have a 1994 Saab AERO 9000- 120,000 miles. I am working on head gasket replacement. Should I replace timing chain while replacing the head gasket?

Reply to
FEDUP

Not as a matter of course. Check chain for wear and stretch, only replace if necessary.

Reply to
Grunff

I would (and did). Since you already have everything torn apart it would be wise to at least analyze how worn your chains and sprockets are. Also, it's easier to remove and replace the timing cover when you have the head off. I've done it both ways and not having to squeeze it under the head (worrying about tearing the head gasket) is far preferrable.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.