1995 900S turn signal problem

Can anybody help me with this? I'm afraid I can't figure out what's going on.

My Saab's turn signals stopped working today while I was working on trailer wiring. I should clarify that I've trailered with this car for years but had to replace the trailer's tail lights and, during this tinkering process, the fuse for the turn signals blew. I disconnected the trailer plug and replaced the fuse -- still no turn signals (or flashers, for that matter). There is a slight clicking sound coming from the dashboard, fainter and a bit faster than the normal turn signal or flasher sound, but no lights on the panel or the turn signals themselves; nor is any failure message displayed. The fuse and bulbs are all OK. The trailer wiring has a solid-state converter box that I suspected may have been damaged, but removing it from the circuit did not restore my turn signals. Short of taking it to the Saab dealer to troubleshoot the [expensive sounding] ICE unit, I don't know what to do next.

Thanks to anyone who can provide useful hints and help.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

Reply to
MikeYankee

Check fuse #22, labeled as "Cruise Control". The turn signals will not work if this is blown. If this doesn't solve it, I have the Saab factory electrical system and ICE manuals. I could scan and email you a few pages, and/or see if I could help you out with this.

Jim Moore

Reply to
J Moore

if this is blown

That fuse is OK, but thanks.

Interestingly, the cruise control failed on this car 6 months ago and I've been driving w/o it. Last month I needed a spare fuse and pulled #22, and am almost positive the turn signals continued working. I did not check the lights themselves, but the controls, dashboard indication and clicking sounds were normal.

However, your comment made me wonder whether a fault inside the turn signal lever, with the cruise control switches contained in it, might cause problems in BOTH systems.

If you could provide any further hints or avenues to try I sure would appreciate it.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

Reply to
MikeYankee

Mike,

I've scanned the relevent pages from the ICE and the Wiring Diagram manuals and I can email them to you if you would like. The seven pages, saved as JPEG's, total about 2.5 MB. Naturally, the manuals assume that one has access to the ISAT tool, however, many of the tests can be performed with a multi-meter.

One fault diagnosis page states that if the TICK TACK sound is generated at double frequency, then one of the direction indicators is shorted to ground.

Let me know if you'd like the scans of the manual.

Jim Moore

Reply to
J Moore

Also a blown bulb can cause that too.

When the fuse blew, did it take the bulb with it?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo