1997 9000 CSE starting problem..

Hi guys,

I hope that all the assembled superbrains who frequent this group might be able to get your minds round this little conundrum!

My Saab is a 1997 9000 CSE 2.3 LPT auto (UK RHD) car, and is virtually flawless despite its mileage of 170,000 (270,000 km). In the last two weeks, I have begun to notice a starting problem that is getting worse.

I turn the key in the ignition, and the radio comes on (much like Anthony/Photogenix's problem at the weekend), the starter motor engages, and the car turns over. However, none of the other electrics come on, including the headlights, the dash lights, the fuel gauge etc. And to boot, there is no spark at all and the car will not start.

Having only intermediate spannering skills, I have tried the basic diagnoses, but have ground to a halt. I can start the car (eventually) as after a fashion one of my many key turns will bring the dash lights on, and then I can start first time and keep on rollin'. This can take more than 5 minutes though!

I am obviously suffering in the rare British heat, but if I turn the key with my "wrong" hand, it will start quicker - strange but true. So could that be the problem? Something with the ignition switch perhaps? I hope not, as I think I'd have to take the steering wheel off which is a bit tedious I imagine.

Anything you chaps can do to stop me looking like a complete Charlie as I try to start my car like a contortionist would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

absgt

1997 9000 CSE 2.3 LPT 1990 9000 2.0 Turbo 16v
Reply to
absgt

Does it turn over at the normal speed, or slower than normal?

How do you know there's no spark?

You've really lost and confused me here. But it does sound like it may well be a problem with your ignition switch. They are not difficult to remove.

Reply to
Grunff

It sounds to an untrained ear like it's the same turnover speed. The battery is strong, and the alternator earths are good.

You've got me here! I meant to suggest that the car will turn over again and again, without any slowing (i.e. battery fading), but never even slightly bites and fires. I assumed this was no spark, but I hadn't thought about the implications of having a DI cassette rather than an old-fashioned layout. Sorry for the vague description!

Perhaps then DCA Saab Independents (the nearest to me) or Neo Bros on the net might be able to send me an ignition switch and I'll spend a weekend fiddling about!

Thanks for your help!

absgt

Reply to
absgt

Before you do that, it would be worth removing the steering column cowl, getting the car's circuit diagram (Haynes) and a multimeter, and checking whether the switch does what it should. You can do all this without removing the switch.

Reply to
Grunff

That's a good place to start. I think there are only a couple of Torx-heads holding the cowling on, and I have both Haynes and a multi, so there's a little project for tonight. Beats watering the garden!

Thanks again Grunff. I'll let you know the results (if they are interesting that is!)

absgt

Reply to
absgt

Fred,

That would explain why it has just started recently (UK finally having a hot summer), and has stopped in the last week - I'm now parking the car in my garage instead of another one, so it must be cooler.

I think I'm correct that I can do it by removing the steering wheel to get the ignition barrel and switch out - does that sound plausible? Or is it a garage shop job, best left out of the hands of the enthusiastic amateur?

absgt

1997 9000 CSE 2.3 LPT
Reply to
absgt