1998 900 SE Conv won't start when low gas

My 1998 900 SE Conv won't start when low on fuel. If car has approx

1/4 tank and is parked it will not start when I return. If some gas is put in the tank (even 1/2 gallon) it starts right up. Could this be a fuel pump? I've read some other posts about these cars having 2 pumps but those posts involved older models. Thanks for you help!
Reply to
Dave

I could be well wrong but i'd have said that might be a faulty breather cap on the filler such that you're drawing fuel out and creating a vacuum such that the fuel can't be drawn to the engine.

When you open the cap to add fuel, you release the vacuum.

?

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Just out of curiosity, did the check engine light come on when the engine wouldn't start?

Reply to
Kenneth S.

I had a similar problem during the Summer .The tank was nearly empty and it was a hot day .Car wouldnt start as I was making my escape to the golfcourse. Later on the sun went down and the car starts first time . The 9000 car manual advises against letting the tank get less than quarter full ...something to do with vapour buildup in the tank.

Reply to
<