1998 Saab 9-5

Hi. I'm thinking about buying a second hand 1998 Saab 9-5 and would like to know the opinion of those who own or have used a similar car. It's a

2000 cc, automatic transmission. I'm particulary interested in the motor performance, fuel consumption and budget for maintenance. Does this model require many mechanical or electrical repairs? I'm a little concerned about its mechanical reliability, as I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money in parts or repairs. Thanks a lot in advance. Jesus
Reply to
Andorre

In message , Andorre writes

Have a start here...

(That's

if the line wrapping messes up). Hope this helps you find a good Saab,

Andy

Reply to
news07

Performance & mileage are always better with a manual. There was an issue with crankcase ventilation which caused premature oil deterioration thru model year 04 I believe. Check engine compression for excessive wear.

Natural Light Black and White Photography

seog

Dear God, I have a 1998 9-5 SE which is still performing great with no major repairs needed so far, cross fingers. I did have a turbo failure, but it was replaced under warranty. I find the disc brake rotors don't last as long as I would expect - I had to have the front ones replaced after 60,000km. My 9-5 has a 2.3 l engine - I thought the 2 l engines were restricted to the 9-3, but that's probably only in Oz, I don't know about the USA.

So my experience has been good, but you never know - another car may be a lemon.

--=20 Regards, Peter Wilkins

Reply to
Peter Wilkins