1999 9-3 oil question

Hello all, I have a question, I took my car to a local service center to have the oil changed and they informed me the synthetic oil that the dealer has been using has been congealing in the engine. Like as the technician described it, "Jello-like." Has anybody else experienced this problem? Or any ideas why it might do this?

Reply to
Turbo 9-3

What change interval have you been using? If it is 'by the book' it may not have been often enough. What dealer have you been using? This is common on the 9^5 when the oil is changed by the book as well...

KeithG

Turbo 9-3 wrote:

Reply to
KeithG

Keith:

Did you mean "common" or "uncommon"? I think you'd have to go quite a way to get synthetic to sludge up. Saab's stated intervals are 10K miles.

Reply to
- Bob -

I've always been really good at getting my oil changed. I have always had it done on the dot. The technician said they've seen a lot of the newer saabs that have been using synthetic have had this prob. But again, he and I could be wrong. You never know.

Reply to
Scania 9-3

I've always been really good at getting my oil changed. I have always had it done on the dot. The technician said they've seen a lot of the newer saabs that have been using synthetic have had this prob. But again, he and I could be wrong. You never know.

Reply to
Scania 9-3

First, I'd ask the mechanic to show you what he means.

Did you buy the car new? Perhaps the previous owner was not good at oil changes ? FWIW, I've only seen this reported with the 2.3l motors, non turbo... and only when the car was bought used (suggesting that proper oil changes were not done).

Reply to
- Bob -

I think that there is a technical bulletin about this problem, I will look it up when I go back to work, but it won`t be until the 29th as I am on my hols at the moment, Regards, Tom.

Reply to
saabtech

What is the meaning of 'on the dot'? I do not know what Saab currently specifies for an oil change, but anything longer than 5k is too long IMO. AFAIK, Saab uses semi-synth, but I may be mistaken. Short runs that do not let the engine oil come up to operating temp are hard on oil. It takes maybe about 1/2 hour for oil to come up to operating temp though the coolant is at operating temp in a few of minutes.

KeithG

Scania 9-3 wrote:

Reply to
KeithG

"KeithG" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@wideopenwest.com...

Factory-fill on ALL Saab's is Mobil 1 0W-40 - fully synth. You should always use a fully-synth oil on a turbo-Saab.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.